PDA

View Full Version : bristlenose pleco & bogwood

kimmers318
04-28-2006, 05:33 PM
I am considering a bristlenose pleco for my krib tank. I have read just about everywhere they like bogwood...but bogwood will also lower PH correct? I have found an easy happy way to keep my ph where I want it, and don't wish to have anything in my tank that may lower it. Any information on how much this could affect PH, or other types of wood they would like to munch on would be greatly appreciated. Since I often offer meaty foods (ie bloodworms) to my kribs, the pleco would have access to it and I don't want to inadvertantly cause it stomach issues in the future.

William
04-28-2006, 05:40 PM
I have always feed my fish a lot of bloodworms and it has never caused the plecos any problem.

As far as pH goes, why don't you want to lower it? Don’t you mostly exclusively keep fish that prefer/do well in slightly acidic water?

That said you could just add a small piece of wood to the tank so that plecos can get the cellulose they need without affecting the water. (Measurably)

rollie
04-28-2006, 05:45 PM
i would buy the bogwood or drifwood from the pet shop. it will not affect your ph that much. if you use some from outside, it might cause problems in your tank. like what had it been in(oil, gas,shit, or what elec)

kimmers318
04-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Like I said...I have found and easy way to keep my PH where I want it, so I don't want to have anything that can alter it drastically. I am afraid that if I add bogwood to a tank that I have my PH stable at, then it lowers the PH, I will have to eventually bring it back up which to me is allowing it to swing around too much. I guess I wanted to make sure that it isn't something that is going to drop my PH too much too quickly. I have a PH of 8.0 in my tap water, and currently all inhabitants of the tank are doing well with 7.4 (lowered by mix of RO and tap water). So if it goes a little lower it won't hurt a thing, I just didn't want a drastic lowering to take place.
Thanks for the tidbits, I knew I could count on you guys to get right back to me!!!
You are the best!

William
04-29-2006, 02:21 AM
store bought bogwood in resonable amounts will not affedt it drastically and any changes that may occur will happen over time.

rev
06-01-2006, 06:54 AM
William is correct in what he says. Obviously a very experienced fishkeeper. The thing you will notice most is a slight 'tea' coloration to your water from leeching tannins.This can be combatted by running activated carbon in your filter. The coloration caused by tannins is not dangerous to fish in the least.