PDA

View Full Version : HITH & Betadine

Juannie
07-03-2007, 05:46 AM
I went into a LFS today, the lady there told me she's used betadine on HITH, she said she gets the fish out of the tank, puts it into the hole, drys it off then puts the fish back in with Melafix, she said it's worked everytime for her, has anyone done or heard of this before??

Drumachine09
07-03-2007, 05:50 AM
Ive heard Betadine works one LLE too.

cocoa_pleco
07-03-2007, 06:08 AM
METRO hith med is the BEST in the world. its 30 bucks a bottle, but it works wonders. after i ended up adopting the severum, the previous owner had the tank in crap condition and the fish had HITH. without meds, it cleared up in my tank. i gave the severum to a friend, and he had a 55g. he saw my salt tank and wants to make his 55g salt so i got the severum back today, perfect condition and healthy.

anyway, metro is extremely good with a extremely good chance of survival

Juannie
07-04-2007, 06:08 AM
I did try the metro tabs and it didn't seem to help along with Melafix, Pimafix & salts. It's not worse but I'd rather try closing it up anyway. I might give the betadine a go at some stage, does anyone know a safe way to do this, my oscar is getting rather large & won't take kindly to be caught.

What does LLE mean?

Fishguy2727
07-04-2007, 02:00 PM
LLE is lateral line erosion, it may also be called HLLE, head and lateral line erosion. This is the form seen on saltwater fish, as well as many freshwater fish. HITH occurs just on the head, but HLLE also occurs on the rest of the body, mainly or starting on the lateral line.

From the research I did on HITH/HLLE when my jaguar cichlid had it, as well as all the cases I have seen and heard of, I have absolutely no doubt that there is AT LEAST two different forms, and I don't just mean HITH and HLLE. I have found that in some cases it is caused by Hexamita, which was what my discus came down with. In those cases the medication metronidazole will work on the disease (usually). However, in many cases the symptoms are different and metronidazole has no effect at all. If you look on New Life Spectrum's website, you will find information on how NLS can actually reverse HLLE in saltwater fish. This supports other info I have read, where fish with HLLE put into a large, very mature reef system can actually have their HLLE reversed. This shows that it is a nutritional problem, possibly related not to just basic nutrition but also/or things like trace elements and micronutrients. In freshwater, there is the Hexamita form as well as the 'other' form. My jaguar cichlid had the other form. It seems that the other form may be caused by water conditions, trace elements, micronutrients,water quality, and/or diet.

Basically, when it comes to HITH, what works for some may not work for others, because they may not be the same types. And most likely even when they are the same type, other things can inhibit the effectiveness of the treatment. Things like low water quality, or sticking with the same low quality food can continue to have enough of a negative impact on the fish and either inhibit treatment, or allow the condition to return once treatment ends.

NWMountainTroll
07-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Get your nitrates down below 10ppm and keep them below that. There is no better medicine than quality water...