PDA

View Full Version : CO2 and Filter?

jnmrcs
04-28-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm new on this things but I got a serious headache about this. I heard that you must have a CO2 system if you got a planted aquarium. The CO2 system is suppose to provide CO2 into the water. But what about the Filter?

The filter is supposed to help giving Oxygen to the water. So the big question is: Does the filter is working against the CO2 System? Are they working one against the other?

I will appreciate some help on this… thanks.

rollie
04-28-2006, 05:33 PM
NO,NO you do not need a co2 system for a planted tank. by having fish in the tank, that will give the plants food. the plants will eat the fish waste. the main thing you need is light, and lots of it. if you want to grow plants and have good looking plants, you needs at least 3 to 6 watt of light per every gallon of water.!! now by doing this , you may have algea problems., unless you know what you are doing!! Also if the co2 system is not working correctly, you may put everyone in the house to sleep!!! that had happen!!!

William
04-28-2006, 05:44 PM
As rollie say you don't need a Co2 system although it can help getting healthier plants, Especially if you keep more sensitive plants.

It is however very easy to make your own co2 system for next to nothing. Let me know if you and a description of how to do it.

jnmrcs
04-28-2006, 11:27 PM
I don't have any problem on buying one (if needed). The thing is that I think that the filter and the CO2 system in the same tank is contradictory.

Also I have Elodea (anacharis), Java Moss and something called hornwort (or something like that). I have light on the tank. I read that it need light for 10-12 hours.

I only have one fish right now but I will buy more soon (I hope so).

rollie
04-28-2006, 11:49 PM
elodea and hornwort need 10 to 12 hours of STONG light per day. java moss need very little light(it hard to killed java moss)

William
04-29-2006, 02:23 AM
You wont need a Co2 system for those plants.

jnmrcs
04-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Then I will not buy one... Thanks for the help.