PDA

View Full Version : Treatment of sick Purple betta

SlothimusPrima
01-11-2011, 01:08 AM
i just bought a beautiful red/blue mix male Betta from my local chain-name pet store the other day, named Whip for his damaged tail that now looks like a whip.

when i put him in his new home i noticed right away that he has a protruding right eye which a friend suggested could be pop-eye, so i went out to buy him some antibiotics to try and clear the infection. now this is the first time owning a sick Betta so i have some questions.

i have him in a cup that he came home in(now sterilized) left to float in his now clean water and medicated tank to acclimate b4 putting back in. the cup has some of the old water which is kind of smelly, i want to know....

should i mix the old water in the cup with the new clean water or try and scoop Whip straight into the new water? :fish:

thanks
~Sloth

also any idea what type betta Whip is? i can't tell and the pet store only label Crowntails whenever they get them

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/Slothimus_Prima/PIC_0352.jpg
Whip adores his Easter Island Moai heads and hope fully he'll enjoy his new aquarium Jaguar skull

Pleco380
01-11-2011, 01:12 AM
He looks like a veiltail betta to me. First of all, get him out of the cup and into a proper tank. From the pic it looks like he may have ick too.

kingkarter
01-11-2011, 01:18 AM
No don't put the old water in his new tank. He does look like a veiltail but im not 100% sure, If you can get a pic of him flaring it would be way easyer to tell. Allso what size tank are you puting him in?

SlothimusPrima
01-11-2011, 01:27 AM
should have clarified it's not the old water from the store it's from his tank.

@King Karter - okay thanks i just wanted to make sure before i transferred him. when i brought him home yesterday i had him in a 3L betta tank...today when i went to gt him some antibiotic to help clear his eye and any other illness' i picked up a new 7L(1gal) tank.

if he ever feels like flaring his fins i'll be sure to get a pic, i assumed he was veil but the edges of his fins seem a little spiky so i wasn't too sure.

SlothimusPrima
01-11-2011, 01:30 AM
He looks like a veiltail betta to me. First of all, get him out of the cup and into a proper tank. From the pic it looks like he may have ick too.

the white specks is actually the LED light i was using glinting of the blue scales that are on his head

kingkarter
01-11-2011, 01:37 AM
A 1g is ok for now but you will soon want to upgrade him to a 2.5g or bigger. Does his tank have a filter? If his fins have small spike then he's probely a crown tail but still im not 100% sure. If he is a crowntail and his spike are small it could be fin rot.

SlothimusPrima
01-11-2011, 01:46 AM
A 1g is ok for now but you will soon want to upgrade him to a 2.5g or bigger. Does his tank have a filter? If his fins have small spike then he's probely a crown tail but still im not 100% sure. If he is a crowntail and his spike are small it could be fin rot.

i also thought it might be fin rot so i picked an antibiotic that treats both fin rot and pop-eye so hopefully it'll clear up and his fins grow out nicely and his eye no longer swollen.

no it has no filter which would mean i have to do water changes more frequently, more so since he's sick. eventually i'm going to get him a 3 gallon tank but for now he'll have his 1 gallon and his Moai heads.

kingkarter
01-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Every thing sound like it's going good so far.

With no filter and a tank of that size, You should try to do water changes 3 to 4 time a week if not more. A 3gallon will be a good upgrade