PDA

View Full Version : shrimps for fish tank

pillairp
01-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Hi,

Need advice on keeping shrimps in fish tank with Terta (currently I have neon, red eye and red fin tetra ). Is it advisable to keep shrimps as a friend told that it will prevent allege formation in the tank and on plants? If yes which shrimps would you suggest

regards,
Rajesh

VCP
01-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Hey Pillairp,

I have about 20 red cherry shrimps in my tank with 8 neon tetras, 2 corys, and an otto; havenít had any problems. Just make sure that there are plenty of hiding spaces for the shrimps, I have a lot of plants.
The shrimps will help control the algae as they eat pretty much anything making them a great cleaning crew. They are also very hardy compared to other shrimps and are recommended to first time shrimp keepers.
In my opinion, you will only know how the shrimps will make out in your aquarium once you add them and seeing how your fishes will react to them.
How big is your tank?
If you are having algae problems, you may be interested in the olive nerite snails.
Hereís a link about this type of snails.
http://www.wilmasthecause.org/index.php?main_page=page&id=2

Lady Hobbs
01-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Didn't work for me. I put about 40 cherries in my neon tank just 3 days ago and have about 3 shrimp left. Previously had black skirts and shrimp together and that didn't work either.

toddnbecka
01-12-2011, 08:16 AM
How big is your tank? If it's a small one a pair of algae-scraping magnets would probably be fine for cleaning the glass. If it's at least 20 gallons then bristlenose pleco may be a good choice. Shrimp aren't particularly useful for cleaning algae IME.

dozerd8
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Can you put them in freshwater at the store for ghost shrimp it says they need to be in saltwater.

gadget228
01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
All my tanks are freshwater and have ghost shrimp in them.

pillairp
01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Please someone help with how good is shirmps as algae eater ??

pillairp
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
and also will it attack fishes, currently i have samll neon, red tale tetra and red eye tetra in my 55g planted tank

toddnbecka
01-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Bristlenose pleco's or nerite snails are much more effective algae eaters than any kind of shrimp. Nerite snails can't breed in fresh water, though they do lay eggs all over the place. Shrimp will eat some algae, and Amano shrimp are probably the best species for that purpose. Not a threat to fish, but even small fish can pick apart shrimp right after they molt before their new shell hardens.

VCP
01-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Oh, let me rephrase that......
Don't get shrimps if u have a glo-lite danio.... I suspect he ate them all! :14:

korith
01-15-2011, 04:08 AM
Most fish will consider shrimp as food. Even fish that are small may tear and pick away at the shrimp. Your mileage will vary with what fish will work with the shrimp.

You could always try ghost shrimp, they are sometimes sold as feeder shrimp. About twice as large as red cherry shrimp, and fairly cheap as well.

Shrimp will eat algae but they really can't keep a tank algae free by themselves, unless you had a crazy huge population of them in the tank. For real algae control I would consider getting an algae eating fish. Maybe a few otocinclus, or maybe a pleco if you have a larger tank.

Low
01-20-2011, 02:29 AM
well if you want ghost shrimp there dirt cheap due to the fact there used mainly as feeders and they shouldent bother your fish unless the fish dies but if your fish spawn watch them closes the shrimp will more then likely try to eat them i jus bought ghost shrimp the other day got like 6 for 1$ if you ask me thats cheap also for plant care get some trumpit snails the place i shop at there like 30cents a pieace but mine are lazy they just hang out by one rock and only tend to the plants in that area and just ignor the rest so i think ima by more and fire the old ones for slack lol jk no but i really am gonna by more there really a great help alone with the ghost shrimp and like i said there cheap its a win win