PDA

View Full Version : Vals

geowashlaw
01-09-2011, 02:42 AM
Are vals like crypts in that they lose a lot of their leaves when you first put them in your tank, or am i doing something wrong with them (I'm not using excel)? They have been in the tank since Christmas Eve.

Lady Hobbs
01-09-2011, 02:50 AM
Vals are often set back when first planted but should take off again for you. Just don't plant them too deep. They will die if too deep. The will also die if you use Excel.

geowashlaw
01-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Thanks! I knew you were the resident Val expert and I could count on you to reassure me!

Lady Hobbs
01-09-2011, 03:24 AM
No I'm not! Excel killed all mine. I went to spiral crypts instead. Have far better luck with them.

Alasse
01-09-2011, 07:18 AM
I have vals, must say i've never had them die off when moved though. But i trim them back fairly short (prolly 10-12cm) before i replant.

geowashlaw
01-10-2011, 02:03 AM
they were shipped from AZ in the winter and the FedEx guy left them on my front porch and didn't even ring the door bell. It was pretty cold in the box when I opened them. I think that may have had something to do with it. Not all the leaves died, just some of the bigger ones died at the ends and got holes in them. I've cut them back.