PDA

View Full Version : Weird Red Belly Piranha Behavior

ippielb
01-08-2011, 09:30 PM
So, i was just watching my piranha's from up the stairs, they were un aware i was watching, and i seen some weird behavior, the smaller piranha would position itself 180* to the larger one, and then flap its tail fin in it's face and re position itself beside it 180* again. This just started recently, and i also see that it goes 90* to it, putting its head right to it's body, and basically giving it a little push. The larger piranha is not cooperating at all, and just floats there.

What is causing this behavior? I added a new piece of driftwood around a month ago, and the wood has tinged the water color slightly amber. I've added more filtration in a Fluval U3, and gave my sump a good cleaning. Could i have caused stress to them causing them to act this way?

Or is this just a simple pecking order complication?

ippielb
01-08-2011, 09:55 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/piranha.jpg

Just to clear things up.

CassieLEO
01-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Wow! Great Diagram, LOL! Im not sure about the Pirahna but you definately explained whats going on clear enough!!!

Demjor19
01-09-2011, 03:40 AM
Could very possibly be breeding behavior. In good conditions RPB's will breed like cichlids...

ippielb
01-09-2011, 04:05 AM
Oh boy, well that might convince me to hold onto them a little longer, might want to try and give it a go to try and get them to breed. How would one convince them to breed? Tonight i put a couple shields over the top of the tank to darken it a bit so that they didnt have such an intense light. Would that help?

ippielb
01-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Anyone else got some ideas?

reef12
01-10-2011, 03:08 AM
Dang mine breed back in the 80's orange eggs but they were biting each other, well one of them anyway had a good piece gone from the back.

Never raised the eggs as was heading over seas.

Jeff

MCHRKiller
01-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Breeding or a territorial display. How large, old and many piranha do you have? What size tank is it?

johndoe222
01-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Heres a link to a breeding site:
http://forums.waterwolves.com/index.php?showtopic=115437

ippielb
01-10-2011, 03:17 AM
Well i couldn't tell if there was nipping or not.

They are 9"-8", i have two, and it's a 67.7 gallon.

The weird thing is that they're always side by side. The one is basically glued to the other, The smaller one is the one that follows, and was the one that was doing the tail slapping. They're always together, mainly because they're afraid of being alone.

Demjor19
01-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Oh boy, well that might convince me to hold onto them a little longer, might want to try and give it a go to try and get them to breed. How would one convince them to breed? Tonight i put a couple shields over the top of the tank to darken it a bit so that they didnt have such an intense light. Would that help?

Sometimes a big water change will trigger a breeding response. I used to get my Black Rhom to lay eggs by doing this.

It could also be aggression, so keep an eye on them.

ippielb
01-12-2011, 01:43 AM
I will try the large water change. Maybe that'll give them a little incentive. I doubt that it will be aggression to be honest, they never would do anything all the time when i would spy on them. This was the first time that it happened, and i think i spooked them, because when they were doing that, i moved to try and get a camera, and then they stopped. And haven't done it since.

rageybug
02-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Could very possibly be breeding behavior. In good conditions RPB's will breed like cichlids...

I don't think so.... Cichlids will breed pretty easily in a home aquarium. RBP need exact temperature and light.. Oh, and rain... you will need to make it rain in your tank... No big deal right...? Not like cichlids at all... sorry...

Demjor19
02-15-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't think so.... Cichlids will breed pretty easily in a home aquarium. RBP need exact temperature and light.. Oh, and rain... you will need to make it rain in your tank... No big deal right...? Not like cichlids at all... sorry...

Not true at all...I have a friend who's RBP's breed about once a month. The large water change (slightly cooler than the tank temp) is our way of simulating rainfall. I also got my old 14" Black Rhomb to lay eggs twice by doing this. Experience is worth more than it's weight in gold. :22:

dawrtw
02-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Do you have any photos? I always thought it would be nice to have a tank of those.

Demjor19
02-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Do you have any photos? I always thought it would be nice to have a tank of those.

My Rhom was a single specimen tank and I have no pics of my friends RBP tank.

ippielb
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I sold my piranha's well, more like gave them away with the tank, just wanted them to have a good home. Sorry can't get any more pictures.

30gallongal
05-02-2011, 09:15 PM
lived about 3 months.the eggs were orange and id find them on the gravel. i never messed with the eggs, though. caught the fry when i saw him/her swimming. Sadly i lost the baby to the filter. :(

With my experience of pirahna, even if they are a breeder pair they will eventually eat each other. watch them and good luck!

bigbhprst
10-14-2011, 09:51 AM
mine have had all the signs, digging about in the stones, went black, i put some plants in there but they stopped doin it now. will they start again , should i do another water change

ippielb
11-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Most likely you just stressed them out from changing the tank. I would let them get accustomed to the new plant and most likely they will begin the behavior again. Make sure they have enough room to perform the courtship.