PDA

View Full Version : More Betta Basics!

Rue
07-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Picked up a nice little used Betta Care Book...

Quick & Easy, Betta Care 2002 by T.F.H. Publications

On page 17, in the box it says:

How Long Will My Betta Live?

Most betta enthusiasts are of the opinion that bettas have an expected life of about 30 months. This is why it is important to purchase young fish if you wish to spawn them and enjoy them for more than a few months Of course, such averages reflect extremes, and information from several sources indicates that bettas can live much longer. Under laboratory conditions, males have been found to live for at least nine years. Each of these fish was given a tank of several gallons all to itself and was excercised each day by being chased around the tank by a researcher. Room and exercise may be the keys to longer lives.

tropfish
07-02-2007, 06:24 PM
being chased around the tank seems liek added stress which should shorten the life, but there the scientists

Rue
07-02-2007, 06:27 PM
...I imagine the fish would get used to it...if nothing bad comes of it, it wouldn't the same stressor that an 'unknown' would be...

I always thought that seeing guys excercise their dogs by having them run after the car is cruel...but I've been told otherwise...

...I have no issues with bikes though...

tropfish
07-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Yea i guess they could ajust. Having dogs chasing after cars does sound cruel but i guess if the dog enjoys it then i guess not

SkarloeysMom
07-02-2007, 07:02 PM
My son's Betta Skarloey must be getting close to 30 months. We've had him a year and a half and he was at least 6 months old when I got him I bet. He's spent most of his life in a 2.5g and now he's in a 5g but he still doesn't look like he'll be around for too much longer. He'll probably make the average of 30 months before he goes to the big rice paddy in the sky.

I'm betting Ketchup will live longer because he'll have a healthier life than Skarloey had.

Rue
07-02-2007, 07:38 PM
They also mentioned the importance of warm temps. Room temps. of 70-71F are not acceptable...

...74-78 is a much better range...

Rue
07-02-2007, 07:40 PM
...and that they need clean water...just like any other fish...

dev
07-02-2007, 07:43 PM
They also mentioned the importance of warm temps. Room temps. of 70-71F are not acceptable...

...74-78 is a much better range...

Room temp is not so important. What is important is the air temperature above the water surface, which is why you should always have a top or cover for betta tanks.

This is true for any labyrinth fish

dev
07-02-2007, 07:48 PM
...and that they need clean water...just like any other fish...

Clean vs oxygenated

I wish people would learn the difference :)

gm72
07-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Good point. Most labyrinthine fish don't need oxygenated water, in fact most don't particularly like it. Clean water indeed is the key.