PDA

View Full Version : Another Anemone Question

Cliff
01-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I’m still not too sure just what the heck my new anemone is doing.

My anemone is a rose tip bubble. As soon as I added him to the tank, he moved between some rocks and hid for a while which is not out of the ordinary. Then, it looks like either ½ of him has come out of hiding to sit on a rock just in front of his hiding spot, and the other ½ is still in hiding. Or, he split and the new ½ is still in hiding and the other ½ did really did not move too much.

The part of the anemone that is one the rock seems to be inflating and at least somewhat happy. This part is a darker red color and looks typical based on the pics I’ve found. But the other ½ is still very small and really wedged in between the two rocks. This half looks a little green / blue color but the lenticels will inflate somewhat from time to time.

I can’t see behind the happy part of the anemone that is out on the rock to see if he actually split, or if he is just all spread out

If they split, will both halves typically stay close together ?

Is there any way (other than visually seeing a space) to confirm or verify if they anemone split ?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts :22:

Rue
01-07-2011, 06:33 PM
I don't know! I think to know for sure you have to see the foot...but if you're consistantly getting two totally different 'looks' it probably is two individuals. But yes...sometimes half an anemone can look different than the other half.

Does a split stay together. Sometimes yes...sometimes no.

...not much help, huh?:14:

Cliff
01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, I'm quickly learning there's not much "black and white" when it comes to these guys. You've just confermed that for me :18:

I really wish I could see between those rocks to see if there is a second foot.

I never knew they could have different colors on 1/2 of their body. That's what made me think it split to begin with.

And BTW, your always helpful Rue thumbs2: thanks

hockeyhead019
01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Dude I'm not gonna lie I'm pretty jealous of you and your nem haha sounds pretty awesome of a thing to have to try and figure out lol

As for your question through my reading you have to see the foot (I've been reading about them because I'd like to get one) you'll see a distinct line down the middle if it has in fact split... however you could have two buddy nems sittin in the same spot or still just one.

Also how much/often do you feed? I've also read that if you do have a splitting issue you can cut the unwanteds off that way they don't keep splitting over and over... Rue might be more help on that since I believe she mentioned earlier that she was recovering for a nem infested tank lol

Cliff
01-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Just got home a few minutes ago and I'm 99% sure I can now see two boots

It really looks like they split now

I haven't fed these guys yet because up until Wednesday, they were too far into the rocks. I'll feed them tomorrow as see what hapens with them

Rue
01-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Well then! Are you going to mark today down as #2's birthday?

hockeyhead019
01-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Wait so don't you have 3 nems now? Or am I making things up? lol I thought you said it had split earlier and the one went off into the tank?

Cliff
01-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Just have two right now, and I hope it stays that way :ssuprised:

Up unitl last night, I wasn't 100% sure it had split becuase they were both cramed into a little space between two rocks. Somtimes it looked like tow, other times it looked like 1

I feed both of them last night and they both quickly accpeted food so looks like all is well. Once the smaller one comes out a little more and is a little more settled I'll try to find him a new home.

Cliff
01-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Well then! Are you going to mark today down as #2's birthday?

Yup. I'm going to see if I can find a new home for him. But I might just let my clown fish decide which one stays and which one will go to a new home. I'm planning to wait a week or two just to make sure both are healthy before moveing one out of the tank

labnjab
01-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Ours has split 5 or 6 times since we started the 75 and luckily they have all stayed in the same spot. I sold 1 to a friend but have kept the rest since they don't move around. They clowns are in heaven with that many nems to choose from

Cliff
02-01-2011, 02:36 AM
I was going to post this last night, but I was tired and went to bed early.

It looks like both anemones are doing really well now. They were slow adjust to “single” life but now they seem to be doing really well. When I fed them last night, they eat the silversides I gave them faster than I’ve ever seen them eat before. The bigger half is stretching out longer than I’ve ever seen him and is starting to get a little darker coloring. The smaller half is getting some more color. I’m going to enjoy watching these guys continue to develop in the tanks.

I'm going to keep both of them until my friend is ready to stock her SW tank. Then I will be giving one of them to her.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad226/Cliff_Erhardt/Cliff%20fish%20tank%20pics/twoann30jan.jpg

Cyberra
02-01-2011, 03:06 AM
Huh... I did not know anemones moved except to pull in their tentacles if threatened. Learning something new everyday. But then, the only anemones I've really seen are in the lfs saltwater tanks, and some of them look like they've been squashed.