PDA

View Full Version : Are CO2 diffusers necessary?

Mrs.JayMay23
01-07-2011, 05:25 PM
When you have live plants, are CO2 diffusers absolutely necessary?

Thanks for the help in advance. :22:

Sasquatch
01-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Are you asking of you need CO2 to grow plants, or if you need a diffuser on a CO2 kit you already have?

In the first case, it'll depend on what kinds of plants you have. Some are more demanding and if you want interesting growth rates, CO2 can help a lot.

In the second case, a diffuser will go a long way towards ensuring that any CO2 you do inject gets fully dissolved into the water ... so yeah they're pretty important.

Mrs.JayMay23
01-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Thank you sasquatch! :) You answered my question beautifully!

CassieLEO
01-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I have a tank just filled to the brim with plants, and no CO2. I got a special plant bulb from walmart, and I just made sure I got plants that didnt need CO2...

geowashlaw
01-08-2011, 02:34 AM
you can build a great diffuser for not a lot of money ... google rex grigg he gives you instructions ... I think you could handle it after seeing the spongebob house you built

geowashlaw
01-08-2011, 03:35 AM
I will also add that putting the diffuser on my tank has lowered the amount of CO2 I use by dissolving it better ...

Mrs.JayMay23
01-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys! I will have to check it out. :goldfish:

Thanks for the compliment on the spongebob house, geowashlaw! :11:

SunSchein89
01-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Just to add...

Absolutely necessary: absolutely not. As others have said, it depends on what plants you're looking to get. If you're just buying plants from local fish stores, chances are they won't even carry anything that needs co2.

It can help with growth and appearance if done right, but you have to watch out for the DIY stuff. Sometimes it can lead to algae problems if you're having trouble keeping levels stable. I used to have a DIY setup and dosed excel in another tank and both wound up with black beard algae. Stopped dosing ferts and co2 and I now find it to be much less maintenance and more enjoyable now that I'm not constantly trimming everything.

Playing around with co2 can still be fun, but I wouldn't go sinking a bunch of money into a full-out pressurized system right away unless you know what you want to do with it and how it exactly it would benefit your tank.

kingkarter
01-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Just to add...

Absolutely necessary: absolutely not. As others have said, it depends on what plants you're looking to get. If you're just buying plants from local fish stores, chances are they won't even carry anything that needs co2.

It can help with growth and appearance if done right, but you have to watch out for the DIY stuff. Sometimes it can lead to algae problems if you're having trouble keeping levels stable. I used to have a DIY setup and dosed excel in another tank and both wound up with black beard algae. Stopped dosing ferts and co2 and I now find it to be much less maintenance and more enjoyable now that I'm not constantly trimming everything.

Playing around with co2 can still be fun, but I wouldn't go sinking a bunch of money into a full-out pressurized system right away unless you know what you want to do with it and how it exactly it would benefit your tank.

I agree. Allso unless your tank is high light then you don't need co2

Mrs.JayMay23
01-13-2011, 02:11 AM
great advice sunschein89. :) I just thought i would ask Because one of my website readers asked me about co2 diffusers and I told her that I wasn't all too familiar with those things so that's why I asked. :)