PDA

View Full Version : Betta ACNE?!

fishn00b
01-06-2011, 02:13 AM
I know it sounds ridiculous but it really looks like my betta has a pimple on his lower left jaw. I'm sure it's something else, but thats the best way to describe it. He is acting totally normal, so I don't really think it's a disease but who knows.

Could it be an advanced stage of ICH? (There is only one "pimple") Or a fungus of some sort? Perhaps it's just a scab, he is very feisty and could have been attacking his reflection and scrapped it on a rock or something...

Michael Milligan
01-06-2011, 02:19 AM
A photo is the only thing that could give someone a better idea than you have.

It could just be an ich spot. Does it look like a grain of salt stuck on his face?

fishn00b
01-06-2011, 02:26 AM
My camera isn't good enough or fast enough to pick up the spot. It looks more like a large grain of sand stuck on his face. He had a slight case of Ich a while ago that I treated and seemed to clear up in 24 hours after one treatment...perhaps one of the spots lasted? Maybe I'll treat again ...

Michael Milligan
01-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Is sounds like ich.

I would just clean his tank and change the water and see how it goes. I've never medicated or lost a fish to ich. I found that healthy fish and clean water are the best defenses.

fishn00b
01-06-2011, 02:45 AM
Tank is brand new. not even a week old. probably too clean to be honest. i'm gonna go ahead and treat him with ich meds

KatzeSlaugen
01-06-2011, 03:26 AM
you should read the free ebook on here about cycling as well as go ahead and do a water change. it probably is ich due to bad water parameters and you dont stop using meds to treat ich when it looks like its gone, kindof like how humans dont stop antibiotics when they feel better. there is a chance that the meds you currently have might not treat to ich now.

but definitely do a large water change

Michael Milligan
01-06-2011, 04:26 AM
probably too clean to be honest.

No such thing.

KatzeSlaugen
01-06-2011, 04:32 AM
No such thing.

sarcastic i hope? if not try putting Purel into your tank and see why too clean isnt good!

Michael Milligan
01-06-2011, 07:27 AM
So, are you saying that you add alcohol to your tank when you clean it?

Firstly, the bacteria (which I can only assume is what you are talking about) don't live in the water but on the solid surfaces.

Lastly, you didn't even spell "purell" right.

KatzeSlaugen
01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
im saying that too clean is not a good thing. too clean means little to no BB . i know bacteria "dont" (since were pointing out typos, and mistakes in grammar Mr. English) live in the water colum it lives on solid surfaces most inside the filter (which is in contact with water, in case you didnt know).

having the filter too clean will put a huge dent into your BB colony which IS a bad thing.

secondly, i wasn't taking a jab at you i was letting someone new to the hobby know that you shouldn't clean the filter spotless or your back at square one.

lastly, nice job being condescending and passively-aggressive at the same time.
=)

fishn00b
01-07-2011, 03:53 AM
When I said "too clean" I was referring to the lack of bacteria, which I didn't know only lived on the solid matter in the tank so you're little argument was educational.

It no longer looks like a grain of salt and is not like a tiny off-white string hanging out of the spot. the swelling around it seems to have subsided and his behavior is normal so i am hoping the is a sign its healing as it looks like its just going to fall off and he'll be fine.

KatzeSlaugen
01-07-2011, 04:00 AM
ide keep a close eye on him. are his fins clamped at all? ide have some ich medicine on hand just in case. its better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Artificial
01-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Gradualy raise the temperature a few degrees, not a treatment method. If I remember correctly, it must be 84°F or higher for ich to be stopped. But, 84°F would kill most, if not all fish.

Treat the tank with a copper based med, they're the most effective against ich. If you have any inverts, don't use a copper based med or it will wipe them out. Stick with a standard ich med if that is the case.

Wild Turkey
01-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Chilodonella (a parasite) can cause wounds that look like pimples, so can a bacterial infection, columaris or a combination of things. More water changes is what I would suggest first and if that doesnt clear it up after a while its more likely a parasite than infection or columaris imo.

I dont believe the pimple description suggests ich, but just for information's sake It takes 87 degrees or above to kill ich IIRC (like someone above suggested, too high to be safe for most fish). Anything less is just speeding up the life cycle, but thats okay if you are already treating it as it can only be targeted with meds or salt in the free-swimming stage of its life. (Tomite? that might be it.)

I wouldnt treat for any parasite or disease unless I was sure thats what the fish has, especially with copper meds which are harsh to fish but thats just my opinion. As for treatment, yes you need to treat ich 5-7 days after it disappears or you may have an encore performance.

Ich is very easy to identify, just google it and look through some pictures and you should be able to tell if thats what you have quite easily.

As for calling each other's ideas stupid, Thats not how we do things here. If you cant express your opinion without insulting others, dont post. This also applies to sarcastic remarks.

Lady Hobbs
01-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Totally agree. Why treat with medication when you're not sure what it even is.

fishn00b
01-24-2011, 02:38 AM
*UPDATE* I decided to go with a fungus guard fizz tablet from tetra. The label said they would treat minor infections or open sores as well. Sure enough within 48 hours it was far less swollen and looked much better. It's been almost two weeks and now he looks fully healed just like new.