PDA

View Full Version : First Coral

Kerry
01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
I got my first coral today... nice little kenya tree. Ive been eyeballing them at the LFS for a while, but they have the last few remaining on supersale so I grabbed one.
I put it about half way up my rock, out of direct line of flow. Its still very unhappy and closed up tight. I will take a pic when it opens, since right now it resembles a lump of silly putty.

Rue
01-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Congrats! Hope it does well for you!

Kerry
01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
A little less angry about the relocation. Not open, but double in size from what it was in the bag.

Rue
01-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Looks healthy (in addition to being confused...lol).

Kerry
01-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Would be easier if they would be POLITE enough to just tell you what they need and want! Ive also tried to explain that theory to my dog. She has the corals reaction.. just waits for me to stop being an idiot and figure it out.

Rue
01-04-2011, 09:40 PM
...maybe a little food tonight? Even tubes like food...er, as in 'the way to a man's heart'...

Kerry
01-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Spot feeding I am assuming to really entice? I have rotifeast.. that is what the LFS was feeding them

Rue
01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Yup! Don't have to spot feed all the time...but to get them settled and happy...and once in a while to spice up their lives.

My anemones hug the turkey baster when I feed them mysis...it's pretty funny. And I think all the clones 'remember' the turkey baster because they've never shied away from their 'first' feeding...

Cliff
01-05-2011, 05:15 PM
All of my fish and shrimp love our turkey baster as well. It took a few weeks for them to catch on, but now there up at the top of the tank as soon as the see my standing in front of the glass with the baster in my hand.

I usally let my wife hold the baster near the glass to keep the fish and shrimp busy while I feed the corals and anemone(s).

dawrtw
01-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Mine has been all over my tank and I find he is most happy out of the direct current, although he does need just a small amount. I also keep him away from the direct light. Once he got settled, he would start dropping a limb here and there. I now have little trees growing all over the tank.

Kerry
01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
That is a good idea! My Blenny is a bottomless pit for food and hes EVERYWHERE at once when Im trying to get food to the firefish who has his condo set up in the back of the tank of course. I dont want him plowing through the corals trying to eat everything at once or just being in my way.
Im happy he has a personality like he does... and Im even more glad that hes not the typical doesnt want to eat anything and will wither away kinda guy. but holy crap he can be hard to work around.