PDA

View Full Version : Fin Forms in Betta Females

Cyberra
01-04-2011, 06:19 AM
Is there any way to tell which fin form a female betta is, aside from asking the breeder? I just got taken over by a female betta, and I can't tell if she's a veil or a crown or a halfmoon or what.

Sasquatch
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Crown tails should be fairly evident, they have little spikes coming off the fins. Not as long as on the males, but they are there.

Halfmoons are less obvious, but when fully spread out, the tail should do a full 180° just like the males.

Cyberra
01-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Lady's tailfin is slightly spiky along the edge... not to the degree of a crowntail, but in a male you might call it "combtail" *shrugs* I dunno... she's still only a young female.

Tyspot1000
01-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Crowntail:
1. A crowntail female is obvious, she has the “spikey” fins

Veiltail:
1. The edges of her tail are not straight, they curve in toward each other.
2. She only has 2 ray, a veil tail female will NEVER have more then 2 rays.
3. Her anal fin, its long and scopy but not very well defined or symmetrical.

Delta/Super delta:
1. The edges of her tail are straight, the DO NOT curve in toward eachother.
2. She has 4 rays, deltas/super deltas can have between 2-6 rays. And sometimes more, they’re considered a delta/super delta if they have a tail span less than 180 degrees.
3.Her anal fin is nice and scopy and pretty well defined, this is the type of anal we will see on the halfmoons as well.

Halfmoon:
1. Her tail had nice long straight edges, and when shes in full flare her tail make the shape of a perfect D.
2.She had 8 rays, a halfmoon can have anywhere between 6 and 16 rays, and sometimes more! A halfmoon is considered a halfmoon when they’re tail span reaches 180 degrees.

Plakat:
1. The only difference I can point out is her anal fin, a female plakat will have a smaller, straighter, shorter anal fin then any of the other females.

Double tail:
1. She'll obviously have 2 lobes (small heart shaped tail), the more even the better.
2. Double tails have a much long dorsal fin then any of the other tail types.

Hope this helped.:)

Tyler

Cyberra
01-06-2011, 04:16 AM
How does one tell what the rays are in the tailfin? If you mean the fin supports, I count around 9 of them. The edges are fairly straight, only beginning to curl at the very tips

Tyspot1000
01-07-2011, 03:12 AM
How does one tell what the rays are in the tailfin? If you mean the fin supports, I count around 9 of them. The edges are fairly straight, only beginning to curl at the very tips
Yes the fin supports ;)

Tyler

Cyberra
01-07-2011, 03:32 AM
Yes the fin supports ;)

Tyler
I count around nine in Dark Lady's tail. Does that mean she's a delta, or am I reading it wrong?

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Different-Betta-Fish

This site may help with identification.

Tyspot1000.....do not copy and paste info from the internet due to copyrights. You may direct them to a site that has good information but not simply copy their articles as if they were written by you.

jaysee
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Crowntail:
1. A crowntail female is obvious, she has the “spikey” fins

Veiltail:
1. The edges of her tail are not straight, they curve in toward each other.
2. She only has 2 ray, a veil tail female will NEVER have more then 2 rays.
3. Her anal fin, its long and scopy but not very well defined or symmetrical.

Delta/Super delta:
1. The edges of her tail are straight, the DO NOT curve in toward eachother.
2. She has 4 rays, deltas/super deltas can have between 2-6 rays. And sometimes more, they’re considered a delta/super delta if they have a tail span less than 180 degrees.
3.Her anal fin is nice and scopy and pretty well defined, this is the type of anal we will see on the halfmoons as well.

Halfmoon:
1. Her tail had nice long straight edges, and when shes in full flare her tail make the shape of a perfect D.
2.She had 8 rays, a halfmoon can have anywhere between 6 and 16 rays, and sometimes more! A halfmoon is considered a halfmoon when they’re tail span reaches 180 degrees.

Plakat:
1. The only difference I can point out is her anal fin, a female plakat will have a smaller, straighter, shorter anal fin then any of the other females.

Double tail:
1. She'll obviously have 2 lobes (small heart shaped tail), the more even the better.
2. Double tails have a much long dorsal fin then any of the other tail types.

Hope this helped.:)

Tyler

I can't believe you're still doing this...... Plagiarism is a TERRIBLE habit for you to get into at such a young age. I really meant it when I said you had come a long way in your development..... and this has set you back farther than when you first started. Get yourself straightened out. Plagiarism is a combination of lying and stealing......

Cyberra
01-11-2011, 12:56 AM
>>; I think I'll just keep out of that fight...

Judging by the number of tail rays and her fin shapes, I think Dark Lady is a super delta. She has 9 rays in her tail, branching at the tips. The nip in her anal fin is grown out, so her anal fin is a uniform shape again, and her caudal spread doesn't have the span of a halfmoon. Getting her to hold still long enough for a picture is the hard part.