PDA

View Full Version : Ghost shrimp information please?

hamsterlover
01-03-2011, 10:01 PM
:feedback: My turtle just recently died and I'm looking into getting some ghost shrimp. I have a 10 gallon aquarium, a heater that keeps water at 75 degrees farenhieght 24/7. I have a filter for a 10 gallon aquarium, 2 fake/artifical plastic plants, enough gravle to cover the bottom and about a little less than a centimeter up. I will have it in freshwater. What else do I need? I here they like to burrow, so do I need sand. If so will hermit crab sand work or do I need special sand made for being under water. What do these ineresting creatues eat? I would like to have 2-3 in my one 10 gallon tank. Is that to many, or can I have more than 3. Thanks!:goldfish: :fish:

Wild Turkey
01-03-2011, 10:39 PM
You can have more like dozens in a ten gal easily.

They may prefer sand, but its not a requirement. If you like sand, the cheapest option is play sand from the hardware store, just make sure its the kind that doesnt contain shells or rocks and give it a good wash in a bucket before using it.

Im not really sure how hermit crab sand would be different, I dont keep them but its probably best to err on the side of caution imo.

Any shrimp pellets should suffice.

hamsterlover
01-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks! I'm hope I get to go to the pet store tomorrow, but I don't know if my mom will drive me.

korith
01-04-2011, 07:13 AM
In addition to what wild turkey said, you can feed them pretty much anything. They are foragers and will eat whatever. Try to avoid stuff with copper in it. So flakes, algae growing on side of tank, pellets, anything works. If you do end up getting them, try to get a dozen or so, shrimp are sensitive to changes so don't be surprised if you lose some in the first few days. They are sold as feeder shrimp very often, depending on where you go may be able to get a dozen for $1-2.

gadget228
01-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Not sure if you can find it locally at this time of year but pool filter sand works great for substrate.