PDA

View Full Version : Planting

pillairp
01-02-2011, 05:01 AM
Hi,

i have gravels at the bottom, need advice on potting the roots of the plant.... is it only the root which should go in or bit of stem also can go inside the gravel.

If its rooted deep will it be bad for the growth/ for the new leafs to come out. or its better to keep in tera cotta pots?

Regards,
Pillai

funkman262
01-02-2011, 05:35 AM
It's usually not good to keep them in the pots because the roots need contact with circulating water for gas exchange and nutrient uptake. What plants are you asking about. Certain rhizome plants shouldn't be buried at all. Anubias and java fern, for example, are better attached to rocks or driftwood. It's possible to just bury the roots but if the rhizome becomes buried then the roots will rot and the plant will die. Other plants like swords should be buried with the roots completely under the gravel (it's ok if some of the stem in also buried).

pillairp
01-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the help

rich311k
01-02-2011, 04:02 PM
What king of plant is it? As pointed out there are different methods for different types of plants.

pillairp
01-03-2011, 04:59 PM
What king of plant is it? As pointed out there are different methods for different types of plants.

Planning to keep the following :
Bacopa Green
Water cress
Dwarf grass
echinodorus agentenesis
Vallisneria spiralis(Sagittaria)
Vallisneria plain(Sagittaria)
anubias nana
Amazon sowrd

Lady Hobbs
01-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Keep in mind you are trying to plant in stones. I would think stem plants of all kinds would have a problem growing in gravel as well as grasses. Do you have tank lights suitable for plants?

pillairp
01-04-2011, 05:47 AM
Keep in mind you are trying to plant in stones. I would think stem plants of all kinds would have a problem growing in gravel as well as grasses. Do you have tank lights suitable for plants?

Yes, the lighting are ok. I am much worried about the roots as the plants are getting spoiled from the edge after the roots.

any other suggestion to take care of this problem?