PDA

View Full Version : co2 reactor ques.

genitor
07-01-2007, 08:26 PM
My co2 reactor only produces foe about a week. My recipe is 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water and 1 teaspoon instant yeast. How do i get it to last longer?

dev
07-01-2007, 09:05 PM
My co2 reactor only produces foe about a week. My recipe is 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water and 1 teaspoon instant yeast. How do i get it to last longer?

One week sounds about right for that small amount of water. You can make it last longer by using less yeast, but this will decrease the amount of CO2 added to your tank.

You can also look for special kinds of yeast used for brewing beer. These can handle a larger concentration of alcohol and will therefore keep producing longer.

edit> Some people think that adding bicarbonates (baking soda) thus increasing the pH may also let the yeast live longer.

genitor
07-01-2007, 09:11 PM
So adding more water will make it last longer since the alcohol will be less concentrated?

Speaking of alcohol. When i opened my reactor i got a whiff of alcohol, isn't it possible that some of the gas going into the tank is actually alcohol fumes and can this dissolve in the water?

dev
07-01-2007, 09:21 PM
So adding more water will make it last longer since the alcohol will be less concentrated?

Exactly right. Using a larger container with room for more water allows for either more intense CO2 production by adding more yeast, or longer production using the same amount of yeast.

Speaking of alcohol. When i opened my reactor i got a whiff of alcohol, isn't it possible that some of the gas going into the tank is actually alcohol fumes and can this dissolve in the water?

We discussed this on a Norwegian forum a while back, and found that while it is possible that very small amounts of alcohol leak into the tank, it is nothing that should cause concern :) Trace amounts of alcohol is common in the natural waters of the world.

Algenco
07-01-2007, 09:24 PM
It is possible that very small amounts of alcohol leak into the tank, but nothing that should cause concern :) Trace amounts of alcohol is also common in the natural waters of the world.

Makes for happy fish :18:

genitor
07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Makes for happy fish :18:
lol, Imagine an alcoholic oscar.

genitor
07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks dev.
Also I will look into the brewers yeast.

dev
07-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks dev.
Also I will look into the brewers yeast.

Glad to help, good luck with your co2 system