PDA

View Full Version : Taekado's Tank

Taekado
01-01-2011, 06:28 PM
New to this site. My experience has been reef tanks, decided to change things up and do a community tank. Here arw some pitures. My goal is to find the maximum bio load for my tank. I have a 75 gal tank and 30 gal sump. Total water volume (minus rock and grave) is 70 gals. I currently have:
1 sail fin pleco
10 neons
3 golden wonders
20 zebra danos
15 pearl danos
4 large danos
10 black skirt tetras
5 cherry barbs
5 white clouds
6 hatchet fish

Water chemistry 2 month period:
pH 7.8, GH 6, amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20.

Thanks, here are pictures:

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/ktagle/ad067900.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/ktagle/138ba673.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/ktagle/e4411715.jpg

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/ktagle/04567e3b.jpg

Yes, fake plants in display and real plants in the refugium.

smaug
01-01-2011, 06:34 PM
The refugium plants look fake too,,,,,,,,,,,just sayin.

Rue
01-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Cool! Looks very good.

I understand you're deliberately overstocking...not sure that I like that look though...I think I'm more of a 'less is more' kind of person...

Otherwise...congrats! Good job!

Red
01-01-2011, 06:57 PM
I dont see the point in overstocking your tank. If your going to see how far you can stock your tank till you start killing fish is plain silly. Your tank has only been stocked for a couple of months, let it settle some before stocking more.

smaug
01-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Maybe if you had real plants in the refugium? I have a few of those plastics myself:hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
01-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are they actually real plants that have been grown emmersed and just recently added to the refugiam? Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I still smell fish.:sconfused:

Michael Milligan
01-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Maybe if you had real plants in the refugium? I have a few of those plastics myself:hmm3grin2orange:

They sure do look a little TOO perfect, don't they?

I don't like fake plants at all. Nice rock work.

Add your extra neons, but more fish is more stress on everything in the tank, and in the end you will likely end up with FEWER fish once all is said and done.

What is getting refuge in your refugium?

Michael Milligan
01-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Oh... if you want to "overstock", to be "overstocked" is relative to the species, not just numbers of fish. You may well already have too many other fish for some of those guys. But at the same time, you could put another 100 of those zebra danios and the danios probably wouldn't mind a bit. Everything else might die, but the danios would spawn all day long!

smaug
01-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Anyway.Im over the plants now.On to the real issue of the overstocking.I propose an experiment.One where we place yourself and 20 of your closest relatives and some of your enemys together in 1 room of your house with 1 small window that I get to open when I choose.We will then add anther 10 people on a whim,just to see if the reaction we get is favorable. Okay?:shappy:

Lab_Rat
01-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Tank looks way too overstocked, especially the upper level. Does not look like a well established tank. If this is a new set up, I wouldn't be surprised if it crashes.

As far as the plants in the fuge, they look like they were grown emersed and just place in there a few days to weeks ago. There is no where near enough plant life to compensate for the bioload of those fish, plus they are not the super fast nitrate sucking growers.

Taekado
01-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Will post parameters as I add more fish!

Taekado
01-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Anyway.Im over the plants now.On to the real issue of the overstocking.I propose an experiment.One where we place yourself and 20 of your closest relatives and some of your enemys together in 1 room of your house with 1 small window that I get to open when I choose.We will then add anther 10 people on a whim,just to see if the reaction we get is favorable. Okay?:shappy:

For one they are community fish, they all get along. If ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are well below toxic levels, all will be well. Try using more logic in your posting and maybe your single digit IQ won't show so much!

Taekado
01-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Tank looks way too overstocked, especially the upper level. Does not look like a well established tank. If this is a new set up, I wouldn't be surprised if it crashes.

As far as the plants in the fuge, they look like they were grown emersed and just place in there a few days to weeks ago. There is no where near enough plant life to compensate for the bioload of those fish, plus they are not the super fast nitrate sucking growers.

When do you think my tank is going to crash? Tank cycled for 2 months, then all fish were slowly added, current livestock been in the tank for 2 months and parameters havent budged a bit. Post your prediciton of when my tank will crash and I will take a picture for you on that date along with tank parameters and current live stock. Please post a picture of your tank, so I can see how it is done!

Lab_Rat
01-01-2011, 10:01 PM
When do you think my tank is going to crash? Tank cycled for 2 months, then all fish were slowly added, current livestock been in the tank for 2 months and parameters havent budged a bit. Post your prediciton of when my tank will crash and I will take a picture for you on that date along with tank parameters and current live stock. Please post a picture of your tank, so I can see how it is done!

2 years from now I'd love to see how the tank is doing and what issues you've had.

Taekado
01-01-2011, 10:25 PM
2 years from now I'd love to see how the tank is doing and what issues you've had.

LOL! Give me a better date then that sir, 2 years isnt a date for a new tank to crash. I will gladly post a picture in 2 years, but I think that is too long of a time to show this forum that you are wrong.

smaug
01-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Such logic.It doesn't matter if you are simply keeping water parameters below toxic.You do not take into consideration the temperaments of the different fish you are keeping or in there behaviors.You have white clouds which are in need of different water temps then the rest of your fish.The rock work is using up quite a bit of water volume so you are far more overstocked then you think.My IQ,,,,please,you are having enough difficulty making sense of your own simple set up and questionable water keeping my IQ is sufficient to know your set up is wrong.Lab Rat is dead on,your tank is destined for nothing but trouble.BTW,how many pics of my tanks would you like me to post that have worked for years?:hmm3grin2orange:

So,tell us more about the plants in your refugium.

Lab_Rat
01-01-2011, 10:37 PM
LOL! Give me a better date then that sir, 2 years isnt a date for a new tank to crash. I will gladly post a picture in 2 years, but I think that is too long of a time to show this forum that you are wrong.

First of all, I am not a "sir". Secondly, two years is an appropriate amount of time to determine whether a tank is truly stable and successful. What's the matter, realize your tank is likely to not make it that long without some major issues?

KingFisher
01-01-2011, 10:43 PM
I just don't see the point of the whole thing, overcrowded tanks look stupid IMO. Also there is more to fish health than clean water. Adequate space is also important.

KatzeSlaugen
01-02-2011, 12:20 AM
I cant even believe that you are trying to defend that your overstocking a tank and it will work ok.
community fish may be community fish but that doesnt mean they will get along. like said before those plants arent very big nitrate consumers, and are slow growers. your lack of the needs of your fauna and abilities of your fauna is very evident. adding more fish to an over stocked tank seems like you dont even care about the health of your animals. and dont defend yourself by saying blahblahblah water changes because as said in the post above me theres more to it than clean water.

whats worse is that your coming here and i cant tell if your asking advice if you can add more or bragging about how overstocked your tank is.

your comment about the IQ was very out of line seeing as how you take care of your tanks you must either not do any research about what works or are just an arrogant ass who thinks hes knows what will and wont work.

either way i appologize to everyone else about exploding over this i have the flu, am in a bad mood, and insulting your IQ smaug pushed me over the edge.

Taekado
01-02-2011, 12:26 AM
You guys are boring and lame! Have fun with your UGF and guppies!

KatzeSlaugen
01-02-2011, 12:30 AM
we will! have fun with your tank full of dead/sick fish!

smaug
01-02-2011, 12:35 AM
His iq comment didn't upset me at all katze:ssmile: . The op obviously has some confusion about what works and sometimes confused people say things that are regrettable. I'm sure as the op matures in there fish keeping skills he will become far less disagreeable to good advice . Let us as a group overlook this poor decision in fish keeping he has chosen and help him properly stock his tank. He could start by taking the advice given thus far and adjust his stocking levels to match his tank type and fish species.

Lab_Rat
01-02-2011, 12:49 AM

Lol, you are showing your knowledge level...I do hope you eventually learn the basics of proper fish keeping.

Michael Milligan
01-02-2011, 01:38 AM

And you're adopted! lol

At least OUR guppies are alive!

More to the point your tank doesn't really look very good (amateurish).

I been in a lot of fights on this board, but this guy is something else. Oh well. He's welcome to all the effort we wasted.