PDA

View Full Version : new to this

waternewb
01-01-2011, 03:38 AM
I have over taken my son's 10 gallon that he ignored and upgreaded to a 29 gallon.
There are 7 zebra danios, 2 julii corydoras and one male betta in there at the moment, and a snail
Do I have to get the betta out of there if I want more fish, I am hoping not. What other fish would work?

Brhino
01-01-2011, 03:42 AM
I wouldn't add any fish to that tank, apart from perhaps a couple more julii corys (they'll be happier with a larger school). It's not that anything is necessarily incompatible, it's just that a 10 gallon tank is pretty small and you have it pretty well stocked as is.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Brhino, he upgraded it to a 29gal. ;) lol

Brhino's suggestion for the Cories is dead on. They do much better in a group of at least 6. The Betta does not have to go,(that is unless the Danios are picking on him) but you are going to be limited on the fish you can add. The problem is not likely to be the Betta beating up on things, but rather other fish picking at the long flowing fins of the Betta. All Gourami's are definitely of the question as well, as they are not compatible with the Betta.

Brhino
01-01-2011, 03:54 AM
hmm... I guess it's a little vague. Waternewb, do you have a 10 gallon because your son has a 29g now and gave you the 10 gallon, or do you have the 29g? It certainly makes a big difference in terms of stocking.

waternewb
01-01-2011, 04:02 AM
My son had the 10 gallon but I was doing all the maintenance, and he was ignoring it, so I upgraded to a 29 gallon. I enjoy it very much but it looks a bit empty now, I like the betta for the colour he adds but I do worry about him getting all nipped up if I add something I shouldn't.