PDA

View Full Version : How fast do RCS grow?

mermaidwannabe
12-31-2010, 09:59 PM
I got mine a little over a week ago. It was tiny and hadn't colored up, yet, so was very hard to see.

It's a lot bigger, now, and bright reddish-brown.

All I've been feeding it has been what I feed my other fish. It hangs around in the floating plants, and often I see it right out in front.

I've been testing for copper in the tank, thus far, none. Reading the label on the Hikari micro pellets, I notice copper sulfate among the ingredients. This is absent from the wafers, however.

Gotta be careful, now about copper. Lethal to invertebrates.

My RCS is about a half-inch long, now. How much bigger will it get? Seems it is growing quite rapidly. Must be finding good nutrition in the tank.

-- mermaidwannabe

Brhino
01-01-2011, 12:06 AM
you have just one RCS? That's unusual... most people get a small colony to start at watch them breed.

Anyhow, they top out at perhaps an inch, and they don't seem to take very long to grow to adulthood, a few months perhaps.

Also, you needn't worry about copper sulfate in fish foods. Its elemental copper that's lethal to invertebrates, not copper compounds, and the amount of copper sulfate in food is infinitesimal anyhow.

mermaidwannabe
01-01-2011, 12:47 AM
I started out with five RCS, and now I only see one. It may or may not be the same individual I see each time, but I'm not seeing more than one at any given time. Could be the others didn't make it or became food. Or, they could be hiding themselves so well that I'm just not seeing them. Those floating plants are pretty thick, and some of the stems are roughly the same color as the shrimp, so unless they move independently of the current and I can get a really close look, it's hard to tell.

I do plan to get more RCS.

Good to know about the copper sulfate in the fish food. I was alarmed when I found it included in several of the varieties of food I feed. Yet, when I test my water for copper, it has been consistently 0. Good sign that my invertebrates are safe.

I won't worry, then, about continuing to feed this food. It's packed with nutrients, aso I would hate to discontinue it.

Thanks. -- mermaid

Brhino
01-01-2011, 01:21 AM
It's very likely that you have more RCS than you see at any given time. I put 20 in my tank, and for a month or so after that I never saw more than about 9. Then I started seeming much much more than 20.

Do you have prefilters on your filter intakes? If not, they may have gotten sucked in there. You use an aquaclear, right? You might stop the filter, pull the media tray out, and see if you see anything alive underneath where it was.

mermaidwannabe
01-01-2011, 02:50 AM
I do have a prefilter sponge or the extension tube on my intake. I had to put it on there because strands of java moss kept clogging the strainer. So there's no way shrimp can get into the filter.

Besides, I took it off and cleaned it last night. There was nothing in it except for a lot of crud in the sponge.

I think eventually I'll see more of them showing up. The one I see now could very well be a different individual from time to time.

-- mermaid

korith
01-01-2011, 07:40 AM
How fast they grow would depend on several things. I keep my shrimp tanks at room temperature, the red cherry shrimp seem to reach the adult size around 2 months, maybe 6-8 weeks total.

When the shrimp are just born and fairly young, they will be a clear colour. That might be why you can't see them. They will get the red colour as they mature.

Rhaethe
01-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Also, are there any fish in the tank? Some fish are quite skilled at being sneaky and relentless hunters even with thick foliage, and do it more often at night when no one is watching.