PDA

View Full Version : Burried Rhizome of some anubias nana I bough, and now its rotting...

EmmanuelJB
12-30-2010, 02:39 AM
After I buried the rhizome of my anubias nana I was reading an article that said if buried, rhizomes will rot. Well I pulled up anubias and sure enough the rhizome had started to rot. So I have now attached the anubias nana to a rock. But I am wondering will the plant live? Parts of the rhizome are still alive, but alot of it has started to rot....

Sorry, this is probably my 10 billionth plant question in a month lol. I will try to keep it to 1 question per day from now on :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: .

Michael Milligan
12-30-2010, 03:06 AM
I think you can only wait and see. If there is enough stored energy in the rhizome there is no reason it can't still put out a shoot. That's not to say that it will, but it just might and you'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it does.

If you can post a pick I'm sure someone here could tell you your odds just from a look at it.

SunSchein89
12-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah, it can't hurt to just see what happens. If there's enough left that's not rotted, I'd say it'll probably pull through. That's kind of the point of rhizomes (other than nutrient uptake of course), if something happens to the mother plant, the "seed" is still spread elsewhere and can continue to grow.

rokx
01-11-2011, 01:06 PM
It'll be ok, I reckon. Just give it plenty of time before you decide to bin it.
They're hardy plants, but they need to settle after something traumatic like moving them or rhizome rot; mine took a few months before putting up new leaves after I moved them from one wood to another.

WhiteDevil
01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I think the weight of the substrate has something to do with them rotting, I got a dozen of them that are in the substrate I have(aquariumplants.com's black diamond substrate) and its very very light, I planted them in may and pulled them two weeks ago, they are over 12" long now with a 1" diameter rhizome, They give me about 2-3 new leaves a week.

You can take it out put it in a pail of tank water and set it in a dark room for a 3-5 day period and they should strengthen up and start to recover.

KatzeSlaugen
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
anubias is a pretty though plant, it may take some waiting to tell if it will make it or not but hopefully it does. if it doesnt get better that gives you a reason to go to the fish store!

Michael Milligan
01-11-2011, 09:55 PM
anubias is a pretty though plant, it may take some waiting to tell if it will make it or not but hopefully it does. if it doesnt get better that gives you a reason to go to the fish store!

Who needs are reason to go to the fish store? :hmm3grin2orange:

KatzeSlaugen
01-11-2011, 10:00 PM
haha yea i agree im at a fish store no less than 3 days a week. it so easy when im less than a 5 minuet drive to two different stores.