PDA

View Full Version : Converting Saltwater fish to Frshwater fish

finest
07-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi!

I would like to know how to convert some saltwater fish to become a freshwater fish.

Sincerely.
Ernest

~Erik3.8.07~
07-01-2007, 03:56 PM
ummm . . . you cant. . .

Lady Hobbs
07-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Can't be done. You can convert tanks but not the fish.

genitor
07-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Never heard of it being done. Some fish like mollies can be converted from freshwater to saltwater.

finest
07-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Never heard of it being done. Some fish like mollies can be converted from freshwater to saltwater.

I read some articles and some people already convert some saltwater like banded bamboo shark, blue tang, maroon clown, african clown, tomato clown, clown wrasse and yellow flagfin angel mixed with my mollies, platies, swordtails and goldfish.

I’m shock how they convert it to freshwater fish then they told me to check it to youtube.com and I search using the phrase freshwater banded bamboo shark then press search, and I see this people can convert saltwater fish to become a freshwater fish.

rollie
07-01-2007, 05:17 PM
a few years back, there was a rumor going around that it could be done.

plus i do remembers seeing some ads about it. and if i am correct i seen some of these ads in FRESHWATER AND MARINE AQUARIUM MAGAZINE.

but i will belive it only when i see it.lol

cocoa_pleco
07-01-2007, 05:23 PM
thats weird. all i know is that you can convert mollies to SW. drip acclimate them and they are fine. i used to have a salt tank with mollies in it

Rue
07-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Since the physiology of SW and FW fish are totally different...I can't see it any 'successful' conversion lasting any length of time...and I'm sure it's tortuous for the fish...

...certain brackish water fish can tolerate wider scope of water parametres...not not SW/FW fish...

...and with all the fish species available to either discipline...why would you even want to?

gm72
07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Rue, you do have a good point. It can't be healthy for the fish, certainly would negatively impact the longevity. What a horrible shock to their system. I agree also, why bother trying? If you want saltwater you'll be much better off going salt, vice versa with freshwater.

finest
07-01-2007, 05:29 PM
thats weird. all i know is that you can convert mollies to SW. drip acclimate them and they are fine. i used to have a salt tank with mollies in it

Yes that’s weird and I’m shock, I used to have guppies, mollies and gold fish on my saltwater tank before but saltwater fish converted to a freshwater fish it’s hard to believe do you think?....

gm72
07-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Very hard to believe. I mean, I'm sure its possible for a short period of time but what a horrible thing to put the fish through.

finest
07-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Very hard to believe. I mean, I'm sure its possible for a short period of time but what a horrible thing to put the fish through.

Yes I agree but I’m little curious about that how they did it.

cocoa_pleco
07-01-2007, 05:33 PM
molly's are not harmed and sometimes thrive better than FW in the salt environment. you had guppies and goldfish in SW? thats awesome. I read once how the anatomy of FW and SW fish is. it showed how a FW fish in SW dies because the salt and all that

gm72
07-01-2007, 05:33 PM
I guess I'm curious too, in a morbid sort of way.

cocoa_pleco
07-01-2007, 05:35 PM
heres some info

http://qeok.com/fish/1181-1-fish.html

troy
07-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I know guppies,mollies,mosquito fish and some other live bearers can be converted to saltwater. My brother told me some damselfish can tolerate a very low salinity, or almost freshwater.

finest
07-01-2007, 06:06 PM
molly's are not harmed and sometimes thrive better than FW in the salt environment. you had guppies and goldfish in SW? thats awesome. I read once how the anatomy of FW and SW fish is. it showed how a FW fish in SW dies because the salt and all that

Well actually, I just get that few guppies and small gold fish to be a feeder to my lion fish but somehow this fish manage to survive and eat more rather and harassing my other saltwater fish… actually it’s weird but it happens.

finest
07-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I know guppies,mollies,mosquito fish and some other live bearers can be converted to saltwater. My brother told me some damselfish can tolerate a very low salinity, or almost freshwater.

Well I tried to put my blue devil damsel on my FW and they survive... I'm thinking if people tried to convert puffer fish to be a FW, so that’s why we have a FW puffer fish or is this native?

Because when I visit some FW store they have a FW puffer fish.

gm72
07-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Freshwater puffers are naturally occurring.

2manyfish
07-02-2007, 12:04 AM
I've heard of fish being converted too. I know that mollies in particular are able to live quite well in fresh, brackish and saltwater and I have heard of guppies being switched to saltwater too but never goldfish!
Anyway, in one of the fish mags a guy converted a south american cichlid to saltwater (sorry don't remember the type). It took him months to do this and the fish at the time of the writing had lived in saltwater for about 3 years. Of course, on his way to finding this one fish that could tolerate the switch he killed off about 40 others!! Not sure why on earth you would want this done anyway as the fish in the pic was obviously in poor health, poor coloration. And why would you want to put fairly drab fish in a salt tank? With all the colorful fish to choose from why would you do that?

As far as taking a saltwater fish and making it fresh, well I've heard of that too! But again, they don't live long at all. EVER.

The following is taken from the book "The Manual of Fish Health" by Drs. Chris Andrews and Neville Carrington and Mr. Adrian Exell. Page 26.

"Osmoregulation in marine fishes".

"Since sea water has a higer concentration of salts than the body fluids of marine fishes, there is a constant tendency for water to be lost from the tissues and salt to flow in. Marine fish solve the dehydration problem by drinking vast amounts of water and excreting litle urine. The influx of salt is counteracted by not absorbing salts from the sea water they drink and using energy to actively eliminate salt through special cells in the gills."

"Osmoregulation is freshwater fishes".

"The situation in freshwater fishes is the opposite of that encountered by marine fishes, since the body fluid of freshwater fishes has a higher concentration of salt than the surrounding environment. The tendency, therefore, is for water to flow in and salt to be lost from the tissues. To counteract the first process, freshwater fish have very efficint kidneys which excrete water very rapidly. Salt loss is minimized by efficient reabsorption of salt from urine before it is excreted and active uptake of salt through special cells in the gills."

Of course there are fish that can live in all three environments, fresh, brackish and salt and for those fish, switching wouldn't be the death sentence it is for most fish.

Frankly I don't understand it. If you're too lazy or cheap to keep saltwater then don't force the fish to die for you because you want something pretty or unusual in your tank. There are plenty of pretty and unusual freshwater fish too!!! :confused:

gm72
07-02-2007, 12:13 AM
2manyfish has a great post here, well done!

cocoa_pleco
07-02-2007, 12:14 AM
EXCELLENT post 2manyfish! i agree, fw fish should be kept to their own water and saltwater and brackish to their own too. however, if the fish would be perfectly health in the other environment like a molly i would say go for it. SW and FW do have their own oddball and cool fish, like lion fish, african butterfly's, dragonfish, and others

Drumachine09
07-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Frankly I don't understand it. If you're too lazy or cheap to keep saltwater then don't force the fish to die for you because you want something pretty or unusual in your tank. There are plenty of pretty and unusual freshwater fish too!!! :confused:

Agreed. Anyone who would willingly subject fish to such torture should not be allowed to have an aquarium.

tropfish
07-02-2007, 12:27 AM
You said you put your blue damsel in FW and it survived. For how long. And if by some chance it survives for a day it won't thrive, with is what us as fishkeepers are suppoesed to do, to help our fish thrive, not jsut barely live. Thats really cruel

gm72
07-02-2007, 12:59 AM
True. There is a vast difference between an ability to survive and a situation that allows something to thrive. Bad call all around to try to mess with momma nature's plan.

tropfish
07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
i feel bad for the fish too because damsels aren't like mollies, there set in stone SW fish. Doing what you are doing to it is inhumane. If you want a fw fish buy some fw fish! don't kill a helpless fish because you were curious to see what happens. That like you changing from breathing oxygen to carbon dioxide.

gm72
07-02-2007, 01:09 AM
He never said he was doing it, just that he was curious as to how it would be done.

tropfish
07-02-2007, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE=finest]Well I tried to put my blue devil damsel on my FW and they survive...QUOTE]
sry the quote got a little messed up

i was under the impression that he did it when he said this. Maybe the grammer screwed me up, but i'm pretty sure this means he put them in the fw

gm72
07-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Right you are, apologies for the error and thanks for clearing it up!

kkyyllee
07-02-2007, 02:23 AM
not all damsels are set in stone saltwater

finest
07-02-2007, 11:46 AM
not all damsels are set in stone saltwater

that's right...

finest
07-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Don’t judge me I’m just curious…

finest
07-02-2007, 11:52 AM

I see that you have a 9 tanks aquarium. WOW!

Do you like to have pond.

Lady Hobbs
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
The salt that mollies are in is not the same salt as saltwater tanks have. I can see no fish living long when trying to live in a different manner. As someone else posted, what would be the point in trying to switch them? If you want saltwater get those but if you want freshwater buy only those kinds. Fish will not change how they are able to live for our convenience.

What it would cost you in the lives of fish, you could buy another tank.

rollie
07-02-2007, 12:20 PM
mollies had been catch as far as 8 miles out to sea. this is what some of the fish books, say. and some of these books, are wrote by well know peoples.

if you want saltwater fish, then get them.
and if you want freshwater fish, then get them.

why should the fish suffer, so you can brag about what you done.

there a lot of sick peoples out there. lol

sorry if i said anything wrong.

finest
07-02-2007, 01:02 PM
mollies had been catch as far as 8 miles out to sea. this is what some of the fish books, say. and some of these books, are wrote by well know peoples.

if you want saltwater fish, then get them.
and if you want freshwater fish, then get them.

why should the fish suffer, so you can brag about what you done.

there a lot of sick peoples out there. lol

sorry if i said anything wrong.

well what I said before is, I got that fish (guppies/gold fish) to become a feeder on my lion fish and some of the fish survive.

and about the damsel I just tried it but I put it back to the saltwater I didn’t say that I left the damsel for a year or a month were talking about a week here.

rollie
07-02-2007, 01:14 PM
in my book, a week is to long.
if there was something to gain, then maybe.
but i see nothing to gain.
guppies will live in saltwater, but THEY DO NOT LIKE IT.

so as i said before why make them suffer.

finest
07-02-2007, 01:39 PM
in my book, a week is to long.
if there was something to gain, then maybe.
but i see nothing to gain.
guppies will live in saltwater, but THEY DO NOT LIKE IT.

so as i said before why make them suffer.

That’s why I said they supposed to be feeders for my lion fish... but they survive.

finest
07-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Ok! It’s my fault to try to put the damsel on my FW aquarium; I will not try it again.

Everybody thanks for the reply…

I learn more about this thread… but I have a new concern.

finest
07-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi,

I have 3 50gal aquarium and one of them have a small leak, I purchase a silicone sealant but I’m not sure if it’s the correct one or if it safe to use.

This is the one I got (ABC SILICONE SEALANT-CONSTRUCTION GRADE)

This are the information indicated to the silicone

PRIMARY APPLICATIONS:
1. Sealing of concrete expansion and connecting joints in building construction.
2. Wide application in roofing installation (sealing of tekscrews, gutters, overlaps).
3. As sealants in assembly of appliances, mechanical engineering and automobile.
USES:
1. Perimeter sealing of windows and doorframes. Non-corrosive property is ideal for glass/aluminum installation and use with various metals as stainless steel, galvanized steel, copper, brass etc
2. Installation of various plastics as PVC, polycarbonates, polystyrene etc.
PROPERTIES:
 Made of 100% silicone
 Superior adhesion to wide range of building materials as concrete, metals, glass, plastics and wood
 Non-corrosive to metals
 Permanently elastic
 Primer less application to most surfaces
 Easy application: One-component, ready-to-use with short tack-free time; non-slumping properties and low shrinkage after cure.
 Available in various colors
 Treated with biocides for increased resistance to molds, mildew and fungus
 Conform to DIN 18545 (Germany); TT-S-00-1543A (USA); ISO 8690; and BS 5889 (Great Britain)

http://www.abc.ph/sealant.htm#sealantneutral

Can I use it?

Sincerely,
Ernest

cocoa_pleco
07-02-2007, 04:07 PM
i wouldnt suggest any other sealant other than the nutrafin sealant at fish stores and the GE sealant, though its a special GE one that has to be used

kkyyllee
07-02-2007, 04:29 PM
The salt that mollies are in is not the same salt as saltwater tanks have. I can see no fish living long when trying to live in a different manner. As someone else posted, what would be the point in trying to switch them? If you want saltwater get those but if you want freshwater buy only those kinds. Fish will not change how they are able to live for our convenience.

What it would cost you in the lives of fish, you could buy another tank.

the salt mollies live in is the exact same as in our saltwater tanks, mollies actually do better in salt or brackish water than freshwater

cocoa_pleco
07-02-2007, 05:10 PM
the salt mollies live in is the exact same as in our saltwater tanks, mollies actually do better in salt or brackish water than freshwater

true. molly's like salt over freshwater. if anything, people are doing harm by keeping them in FW

kkyyllee
07-02-2007, 05:23 PM
when kept in freshwater most mollies get diseases and die

finest
07-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Guys I would like to know if recommend to do a double your silicone seal on your aquarium if you have a SW tank.

kkyyllee
07-02-2007, 05:26 PM
what do u mean by doulble?

kkyyllee
07-02-2007, 05:29 PM
saltwater tanks dont have any special silicone sealing there just regular tanks, this really isnt the thread for this anyways

cocoa_pleco
07-02-2007, 05:32 PM
its impossible to double seal. silicone doesnt stick to silicone

finest
07-02-2007, 05:33 PM
when kept in freshwater most mollies get diseases and die

On FW how often you will add non-iodize salt?

cocoa_pleco
07-02-2007, 05:35 PM
i dont at all. unless its a molly-only tank, dont. some fish like tetras and catfish and silver dollars cant have salt. its best to skip salt unless you are having a molly only tank or are treating a fish for a illness

kkyyllee
07-02-2007, 05:35 PM
if you keeping them with fw fish you need to be careful on how much salt you add as other fish wont tolrate verymuch, are they being kept with other fish?

finest
07-02-2007, 05:38 PM
its impossible to double seal. silicone doesnt stick to silicone

ooohh!.. Thanks for the info, so the best way is to remove the first seal then replace it, coz I have a needle like hole on corner of my aquarium and its leaking… shock!!!! :14:

cocoa_pleco
07-02-2007, 05:39 PM
yep, but if you are having a community tank with other fish like mollies make sure the other fish can have salt or else use no salt. my sailfin is in the 55g with fish that cant handle salt like tetras and i had to skip it

finest
07-02-2007, 05:40 PM
if you keeping them with fw fish you need to be careful on how much salt you add as other fish wont tolrate verymuch, are they being kept with other fish?

I read some information that on FW tank some times you need to put 1 teaspoon of non-iodize salt per gal to enhance something….

finest
07-02-2007, 05:45 PM
i dont at all. unless its a molly-only tank, dont. some fish like tetras and catfish and silver dollars cant have salt. its best to skip salt unless you are having a molly only tank or are treating a fish for a illness

what illnesses can cure of salt?

Rue
07-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Ich is treatable with salt.

So are some bacteria infections such as fin rot...also ulcers...

May not help so much with fungus...but I'd have to double check that...

tropfish
07-02-2007, 05:58 PM

no problem :22:

finest
07-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Ich is treatable with salt.

So are some bacteria infections such as fin rot...also ulcers...

May not help so much with fungus...but I'd have to double check that...

oh... thanks I'll wait for more

2manyfish
07-04-2007, 10:46 AM
This thread is going all over the place! :ezpi_wink1: But to answer the question about using the silicone.....you CANNOT use a silicone that contains any kind of chemical to limit mold, or fungus. If you use that it will kill your fish!! You should only use a silicone that states "for aquarium use" on the label.
Where is the pin hole at? I have a small leak on one of my 75g's but it's right at the very top of the tank. I just keep the water level a tad bit lower and don't worry about it.

finest
07-05-2007, 11:00 AM
This thread is going all over the place! :ezpi_wink1: But to answer the question about using the silicone.....you CANNOT use a silicone that contains any kind of chemical to limit mold, or fungus. If you use that it will kill your fish!! You should only use a silicone that states "for aquarium use" on the label.
Where is the pin hole at? I have a small leak on one of my 75g's but it's right at the very top of the tank. I just keep the water level a tad bit lower and don't worry about it.

on the right top of the corner

tropfish
07-05-2007, 02:58 PM
So can you just lower the water a litlle bit or do you like it full. I personally like it full because i tihnk it just looks better. Hope the silicone thing works out for ya! :thumb:

finest
07-06-2007, 02:11 PM
So can you just lower the water a litlle bit or do you like it full. I personally like it full because i tihnk it just looks better. Hope the silicone thing works out for ya! :thumb:

Thanks! :19: