PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Red Shrimp

Demjor19
12-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Anyone on here keeping these shrimp? I picked up 5 of them over the weekend in hopes of having mixed sexes. Any tips on breeding them? Right now they are in my planted 20 long with my RCS colony. Will they breed in the same conditions? I have had great luck with the RCS so far and hope the CRS thrive as well.

Thanks,

Michael Milligan
12-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Anyone on here keeping these shrimp? I picked up 5 of them over the weekend in hopes of having mixed sexes. Any tips on breeding them? Right now they are in my planted 20 long with my RCS colony. Will they breed in the same conditions? I have had great luck with the RCS so far and hope the CRS thrive as well.

Thanks,

Those are my fav shrimp! I imagine that the conditions they like are similar.

pics?

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2010, 01:23 PM
What are crystal reds? Just redder? I got my RCS just over a month ago and have lots of babies already but not seeing a lot of really red coloring on them. Probably will get redder with age, tho.

I found one large one that was just an ugly gray so tossed him in my glowlight/neon tank so he wouldn't breed with the others and those glowlights ate him in about 1 second. I thought he might survive with wee fish for a bit but see I was wrong there.

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2010, 01:57 PM
I lied!!!!!! Just stirred up things in that tank and out swam that shrimp!

Sarkazmo
12-28-2010, 03:05 PM
CRS are a bit trickier than RCS. They're not as hardy and require higher maintenance. Ammonia is not good for any shrimp but CRS, from what I've read, are very intolerant of ammonia. One of the most difficult parts to keeping CRS is classifying the offspring as to what quality they are if you're selling them. Just keep the water quality tip top and you shouldn't do ok.

Sark

Michael Milligan
12-29-2010, 12:08 AM
What are crystal reds? Just redder? I got my RCS just over a month ago and have lots of babies already but not seeing a lot of really red coloring on them. Probably will get redder with age, tho.

I found one large one that was just an ugly gray so tossed him in my glowlight/neon tank so he wouldn't breed with the others and those glowlights ate him in about 1 second. I thought he might survive with wee fish for a bit but see I was wrong there.

Red Cherry Shrimp v. Crystal Red Shrimp.

And i have found that no matter how small a fish or big a shrimp, the fish will try to have a snack as the shrimp sinks. I think it is the fluttery legs that look SO yummy. Now I put shrimp in a little net and let the shrimp go at the bottom of the tank.