PDA

View Full Version : 'Bleheri' South American

IntensePlayer642
12-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Hey guys. I just purchased 3 Bleheri South American plants from Petco. They had a buy 2 get one free deal, and I also had a coupon for spend $5 get $2 off. They came in little pots. I've already potted them in the pots but they kind of look stupid imo, and come lose very easily. My worry is that if I fish nudged the pot, it would be come undone in the gravel. Inside the pot is spongy stuff. Should I take them out of the pot or leave them in there? Thanks!

Trillianne
12-27-2010, 09:26 PM
You do not need to keep them in pots. I took them out of the pots and removed nearly all the planting floss stuff they plant them in. (Just be sure to be careful and not break off an excessive amount of roots.

While leaving them in the pots can make it a little easier if you are planning to rearrange your plants, I do not believe there is any other actual benefit to keeping them in the pots.

IntensePlayer642
12-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Ok.. Do I need to take off all the wool stuff as well? Right now, they are without the pots under the gravel with the wool stuff. It wouldn't be very hard to pull off the wool stuff but will it make that much of a difference? Thanks.

IntensePlayer642
12-27-2010, 09:53 PM
I was looking at this plants name on google and am not sure now that this is what it is called. African Sword is another name for it I believe but doesn't look the pics on the forum under the african sword. http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9152/imag0272.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/imag0272.jpg/)

There is a pic of it.. What kind of plant is this?

IntensePlayer642
12-28-2010, 03:23 AM
Is the plant in this tank a bleheri? Thanks again.

Dave66
12-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Echinodorus bleheri is your plants, also called large leaf amazon sword. The species is the largest of the Amazon Swords, with leaves reaching 18 inches, and the plant can produce literally a hundred leaves with a two foot spread, meaning it's a dominant plant in most tanks.

It's also a heavy, heavy root feeder and needs a chelated iron-rich fine substrate designed for planted tanks, regular root tabs if you don't. The plant needs at least four inches of substrate to establish itself.

A beautiful plant, but as I said, gets too large for most tanks.

Dave

IntensePlayer642
12-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Does the plant look planted/good enough in my tank? I'm now looking at pics from google when it is fully grown and :shappy: lol. HUGE!