PDA

View Full Version : should i or shouldnt i?

cocoa_pleco
07-01-2007, 05:29 AM
lol, im in a mid-tank crisis right now.

The next thing im working on is the 20g long. im building a custom wood cabinet for it and everything. i was originally going planted, but something struck me. as long as i have a hood, and i would be able to get proper fitting lighting, i could go saltwater (yet again). having a salt 20g long would be cool, since not too many people have saltwater 20g longs.

If i WERE to make it a reef, i would get some sweet lighting from europe, a EHEIM pro canister, 30lbs LR, and some tougher more precise corals. for fish, i would want kinda oddballs. now that im talking about it, i do want to make it salt!

can you name any fish?

Drumachine09
07-01-2007, 05:33 AM
I would just stick with the planted tank. Long tanks arent really all that great for marine aquascaping either.

cocoa_pleco
07-01-2007, 05:38 AM
lol, i for some reason want it salt. i could get a smaller fast fish since i have all the room. i prefer salt tanks since they take more time to complete than FW.

for aquascaping, i would try a LR pyramid or a straight even wall towards the back

Drumachine09
07-01-2007, 06:08 AM
lol, i for some reason want it salt. i could get a smaller fast fish since i have all the room. i prefer salt tanks since they take more time to complete than FW.

for aquascaping, i would try a LR pyramid or a straight even wall towards the back

To each his own, but i say salt water tanks should stick to beinig regular, or cube style aquariums for max aquascaping capabilitys.

~Erik3.8.07~
07-01-2007, 03:54 PM
i think it be pretty neat. gives you a chance to really get created with your aquascaping. Im sure you can make it look beautiful if you put enough effort into it. I wish i knew enough about SW fish to give u some suggestions

genitor
07-01-2007, 04:21 PM
mts strikes again. lol
I've seen a long sw tank at a lfs, it looked really cool. Not sure how much gals. it was.

Lady Hobbs
07-01-2007, 04:31 PM
How come? You're gonna have it for sale in another week. LOL How many have you sold now?

cocoa_pleco
07-01-2007, 04:49 PM
i have sold NONE, and im honestly ready to kill someone. i literally got 27 emails for the hex, then people suddenly dont reply. the worst was when some guy wanted to come over to see it. i had to leave a party to be their at 8:00, and he said he would be there. HE DIDNT COME and he never replied after that. the worst part is i leave thursday. im trying to combine my community tanks and all the others so that the person taking care of them has less work to do. so far, its going good and all the fish are getting along. the main tanks i want to keep are the 55g (duh, its a few weeks old), the 33g salt, nanoreef, 3g betta, and i guess the 20g long for when i come back.

i really want a clown for the long tank. i think my damsel is best alone in the 33g as he seems to think that the whole tank is his territory and he zips through it like a drill sgt. looking for intruders

Lady Hobbs
07-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Maybe the fish store will let you hang up an ad when you come home. But then, prolly not. Have a yard sale when you return home.

~Erik3.8.07~
07-01-2007, 06:12 PM
i wish i lived closer to you. I'd buy a couple off of ya:ezpi_wink1:

kkyyllee
07-01-2007, 06:50 PM
do salt , lots of people use 20 longs for reefs, aquscapeing wouldnt be that hard , and lighting would be easier because of less depth, for fish what about a gruop of firefish? theyre prettyinteresting in groups, like a school of 3-4

cocoa_pleco
07-01-2007, 08:33 PM
firefish are cool. my damsel picked on my old one so i had to sell my old one, but a couple firefish and a small clown is good

2manyfish
07-02-2007, 12:26 AM
A big NO to the "couple" of firefish!! Unless you get a mated pair the more dominant one will make life you-know-what for the other! In a large tank like 75g or bigger, not a problem but in a small tank forget about it!! One please unless you can find that mated pair. BTW, how do you find a mated pair? Look in the dealers tank and if there is a small grouping then sometimes you will see two firefish kind of sildling up to each other and they may brush up against each other. Thats a pair!

By 20g long I take it you mean a standard 20g? I had one like that in the past, nice tank although I prefer the look of a 20g tall. As for fish, the firefish (or mated pair if you can find them), maybe a dart gobie, or hey what about one of the shrimp gobies and it's shrimp? THAT would be cool.... :19:

cocoa_pleco
07-02-2007, 01:26 AM
no prob, i can go with a single firefish. if its for the better, no problem

Its a long tank, it has less height and more width, the dimensions are 30"x12.5"x7".

im trying to sell any of these tanks, a standard 20g, 30g hex, and maybe the 20g long. i want to keep one as a salt tank now. i basically was thinking the hex would be cool as a salt tank but wouldnt a coral have trouble getting light? if not, im open to making the 30g hex a salt tank, or even the standard 20g. im looking for high-care anemones and i feel the hex wouldnt provide enough light, so its either the long 20g or regular

cocoa_pleco
07-02-2007, 02:19 AM
long tanks look cool like this guys

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/rate-my-tank-saltwater/42294-nicks-20g-reef-tank.html

but look at this regular 20g!

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/photos/blpictanknhester20greef.htm

2manyfish
07-04-2007, 10:55 AM
The first tank looks nice but that brain needs to be on the sand and those chromis will not last long with the three stripe damsel in there! Not to mention that he's overstocked but like I said that won't last for long...
Second one is nice! I don't know why but I just prefer the "look" of a 20g tall tank. :41:

cocoa_pleco
07-04-2007, 05:10 PM
it would be hard to find a tall one here, but i know what you mean. having a tall LR stack with little crustaceans crawling around and corals would look nice

ive decided to use the 20g long now

2manyfish
07-05-2007, 04:35 AM
Awesome!! :19:

What kind of corals do you think you'd like to have?

cocoa_pleco
07-05-2007, 04:43 AM
i got a allexperts reply, he said the long tank would be best.

as for corals, im going a step up to tougher ones. i can get all the lighting, supplements, and everything. my hammerhead and mushrooms are doing amazing. my LR piece with mushrooms went from 15 mushrooms on it to about 40 now, and one grew HUGE in the last week. the hammerhead is VERY neon and never retreats inside.

tropfish
07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Sounds cool! hope it works out for you!:thumb: