PDA

View Full Version : Time for some plants

DylanisHawttt
12-26-2010, 04:47 AM
I recently restarted my 29g tank and I was deciding on putting one or two live plants into my tank. Seeing as how I don't want to go back and pull up all my substrated for planted substrate, what plant or plants do you suggest for a 29g, tropical fish community? None of my fish are omnivores so I won't have to worry about plants disappearing.

MCHRKiller
12-26-2010, 05:14 AM
You dont have to have plant substrate to grow live plants. Java fern, anubias, moss and various stems do just fine with plain substrate. Other more heavy root feeding plants do fine with it as long as you provide them with substrate fertilization. What is your lighting? That will be more of a factor to what you can and cannot grow.

DylanisHawttt
12-26-2010, 01:56 PM
True I didn't think about my lighting. I'll have to go and check it out. What do you suggest? And like I said before, I'm not trying to totally go planted right now. Although I would like to go planted in a couple months :)

MCHRKiller
12-26-2010, 06:28 PM
With that in mind consider what you would want to do with the tank down the road and prepare for that now. I would go for either a Coralife T5NO fixture (http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Lighting_Light-Fixtures_T5-HO-T5_Freshwater-Aqualight-T5-Series-Double-Linear-Strip-Lights.html?tc=fish) or a 65watt PC (http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_76&products_id=1198). The T5NO would put you into the low light/select medium light plants area...the PC would put you into medium lighting. Neither of these fixtures would force you to inject CO2, however you would probably see benefit from some DIY. Excel is another option for CO2 substitution as well.

flydustydawg
12-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Ludwigia grows very well in my tank. I only have 60w on a 55 gallon. It is redish and green in color looks really nice and grows fast. I wouldnt suggest hygorws unless you get more lighting. My pet store told me it would grow very well in a low light tank, but its been a battle just to keep it alive. I would also second the anubias and java ferns that killer suggested.

DylanisHawttt
12-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Alright I'll look into it. Considering I'm going to college next year, I don't want to start my planted tank because right now I'm pretty much the only one who knows what to do in my household. When I go away to college I plan on taking a little 5g or 10g and planting that bad boy out but til then I think I'll throw a live plant or two in my tank with special lighting. But java ferns and anubia you guys think would be fine for now? I can post a picture of my tank if you guys would like to see it bare.

MCHRKiller
12-27-2010, 01:07 AM
You can plant the crap out of your current tank with standard tank lighting using Java Fern, Anubias and Moss. It does perfectly fine in standard tank lighting and doesnt need special substrate, it will do best with a weekly dose of a general fertilizer such as Flourish Comprehensive but that is the only care it will require. I would however suggest you replace the bulb for a new one in the 6000-10,000K spectrum range if the bulb is not in that range or is over 6months old.

DylanisHawttt
12-27-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm so excited now! :18: I can't wait to go and buy me a couple plants now ahh I'm so pumped! You just made my Christmas :l24:

MCHRKiller
12-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Just remember to attach your ferns to wood/rock and the same can be done for your anubias. Anubias can also be planted in the substrate providing you do not burry their rhizome..only the root part should be in the substrate. Moss just needs to be tied down to something with either some cotton thread or fishing line. :22:

DylanisHawttt
12-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Wootwoot I'm so pumped now :) We just got all this snow and it's literally... 12inches plus so I won't be making it out anywhere soon :/ The one time it snows in Suffolk, Virginia is the time I NEED to go to a store for my fish haha.