PDA

View Full Version : Java Moss and hobs don't mix!

mermaidwannabe
12-25-2010, 01:03 AM
I can tell my new AC50 has a powerful pull, as I have been picking out the little hairy strings of Java Moss from the grid holes of the extension tubes so they don't get so clogged up the filter can't work properly.

No more Java Moss! If I want moss in my tank, I'll stick with the tight little moss balls that sink to the bottom and stay there. I like their color better, anyway.

Hornwort seems to stay pretty much intact, but that floating anacharis sure makes a mess.

Going from UGF to an hob is going to be a whole new experience, I can see that right now!

-- mermaidwannabe

Lady Hobbs
12-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Use a pre-filter. You can cut a square out of a piece of foam, stick a hole in it and put it on the strainer so moss won't go inside of it.

mermaidwannabe
12-25-2010, 03:09 AM
I've got a couple foam pre-filter sponges that went on the pre-filter grids of my Maxi-Jets. I can use one of those. Thanks, Lady Hobbs.

-- mermaid

Michael Milligan
12-25-2010, 03:12 AM
I have a tank that is covered in floating plants. And the water level is dropped by 3 inches. The intakes on the filters are always packed with debris or whole plants, but I've never actually had a filter stop working from this.

The outflow of the HOB just seems push plants right into the filter intake. :(

mermaidwannabe
12-25-2010, 03:55 AM
I cleaned out my extension tube strainer for the last time, and put the pre-filter sponge on it. Apparently this doesn't hamper the filter's ability to catch debris and filter out other undesirable matter through its regular media. At least I hope not...

-- mermaid

Rhaethe
12-25-2010, 03:59 AM
I have christmas moss in one of my tanks. About the only time it actually gets onto the pre-filter is after I prune it. It's really good about staying in a nice wad and not getting stringy.

Lady Hobbs
12-25-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't even try to keep moss in a tank with an AC. That flow is great for oxygenating a tank and cleaning but plays havoc on plants. I have moss in 3 tanks......one tank with a canister.......another with a sponge filter.......another with a Cascade filter. But if I put it in the tank with the AC, it gets beat to death. Along with the vals, the hornwort, the spiral crypts, etc.

mermaidwannabe
12-26-2010, 08:51 AM
So far, the pre-filter foam I put over the end of the extension tube seems to be keeping out the pieces of plants. I'm just wondering if having a foam pre-filter over the end of that tube will in any way impede the ability of my AC to filter through its basket media. In otherwords, would that foam pre-filter, placed where it now is, cause my AC to not work properly? Should I keep it on there, or remove it? If it doesn't impede the filtration process, I think I'll keep it on there and rinse it from time to time along with my basket media. If I get any RCS, it will help prevent them from being sucked up into the filter.

This foam pre-filter sponge cartridge was originally intended to fit over the pre-filter grid of my Maxi-Jet 400 submersible pump and powerhead, which I am no longer using now that the UGF is out of the tank. It seems to fit better and more snugly over the AC extension tube, as it kept falling off the Maxi Jet.

-- mermaidwannabe

Michael Milligan
12-26-2010, 09:34 AM
If it looks like it is working, it is. :)

Is the flow very low? I don't know if those sponges clog up very quickly with fine debris or not. The "prefilter" is mostly providing a mechanical filtration. The bulk of biological filtration will still be in the basket of your HOB... assuming it has something in it.

mermaidwannabe
12-26-2010, 02:53 PM
The flowing action of the waterfall is still very vigorous.

The AC media basket also has its own foam sponge that does the mechanical filtration, then a carbon pack above it for chemical filtration, and finally the ceramic pieces that will do the biological filtration when the beneficial bacteria become established on it. That's why I seeded it with gravel from the aquarium, in a nylon sock cut to fit just beneath that mesh bag containing this third stage of media.

I guess having the pre-filter sponge will also help keep the foam in the media basket a little cleaner a little longer, perhaps extending the amount of time it can stay in there before having to be replaced. Of course, all the media, including the pre-filter, will have to be rinsed from time to time in between replacement.

So, you're saying that this pre-filter sponge is providing additional mechanical filtration along with the foam in the media basket ... If I am understanding you correctly. Can't have too much of that, I guess, as long as it's kept maintained ....

I'm new to this whole hob thing, so am still not fully sure what to expect. For the time being the pre-filter over the end of the extension tube is keeping out the chunks of plants, particularly that Java Moss that seems to literally shred itself. And, it should help keep RCS from being sucked up into the tube and ultimately into the filter.

I like the little moss balls that sink to the bottom. They're like tight little furballs, and thus far, they haven't come apart.

-- mermaidwannabe

Michael Milligan
12-28-2010, 07:21 AM
If I am understanding you correctly. Can't have too much of that, I guess, as long as it's kept maintained ....

Not such thing as too much. Mechanical filtration is really what most people think of as a filter. Think coffee filter. It holds back the solids and allows the liquid to pass. Biological filters transform liquid waste in solution.