PDA

View Full Version : Possible Problem with my Wisteria

elfritobandito9
12-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Hello all,

I recently picked up some plants to put in my 20 gal. My question is regarding the wisteria. So far, it is growing vertically fairly well. What I'm confused about is the apparent lack of roots. I even pulled off the bottom leaves and the roots just don't seem to be growing. Also, the bottom of the stems seem to be rotting. I know this because my darned pleco keeps pulling them up so I have to shove them back into the gravel. I wouldn't suppose this has anything to do with it?

lotus flower
12-23-2010, 07:59 PM
No, I don't think the pleco is to blame, because I'm having the same problem. I bought some wisteria a week ago from PetSmart (the Top Fin brand in a tube), and they hardly have any roots. Some look like they're starting to sprout from further up the stems, but they aren't turning into anything. I wanted to trim back the dying parts of the stems at the bottoms, but it would've taken off all the (hopefully) developing roots.

The wisteria is green and seems to be doing okay, though. So maybe this is just how it grows?

elfritobandito9
12-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Your story is the same as mine. Petsmart tubes. I can't help taking off the rotten part because it comes off when I try to anchor it in the gravel again. The result is the plants are growing upwards but not very fast when the bottom keeps getting trimmed off. I have had wisteria in the past and don't remember having this problem.

KatzeSlaugen
12-23-2010, 08:28 PM
the plants are readjusting to a fully aquatic environment. the reason the bottom of the stems are dying is because they're buried in the gravel, and root development may take a few weeks as it has to adjust to fully submersed and then after its adjusted start growing roots again. and then when it does the bottom wont rot off and it will hold itself down pretty well

elfritobandito9
12-23-2010, 08:42 PM
That is good to know. Its been a few weeks. I hope they shape up soon. I have Co2 and dose Excel, Flourish, Potassium, Phosphorus and Nitrates. Also have root tabs. They should take off soon.

elfritobandito9
12-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Yeah, my once 5 inch tall plants are now about 2 inches even though they are growing...

Lady Hobbs
12-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I noticed you mentioned gravel. Stem plants don't always do well in gravel. Small roots have a hard time holding onto stones and pull up very easily.

elfritobandito9
12-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Whats better? Sand?

Lady Hobbs
12-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Planting substrate is the best altho some have used sand with substrate pellets. But you don't want fine sand, either, or plants will just float away. Some sands are like sugar sand and not too hot for plants.

elfritobandito9
12-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Im using a mix of gravel and flourite actually