PDA

View Full Version : Plants in little terra cotta pots

CassieLEO
12-20-2010, 10:50 PM
I have loads of bulb plants that are growing like crazy in my fish tank. Im thinking about putting them all into small terra cotta pots and planting the pots with them in them for decoration. If I fill them with substrate, will they do ok in them? I have those cheap bulbs you buy in packages, micro swords and a couple other ones ive bought.... Any info will help! Thanks!!!

Michael Milligan
12-20-2010, 11:29 PM
I have loads of bulb plants that are growing like crazy in my fish tank. Im thinking about putting them all into small terra cotta pots and planting the pots with them in them for decoration. If I fill them with substrate, will they do ok in them? I have those cheap bulbs you buy in packages, micro swords and a couple other ones ive bought.... Any info will help! Thanks!!!

yup. terracotta is perfectly safe. If they are new I would soak them overnight to get rid of some of the minerals, if they are weathered all ready you are good to go.

Broken clay pots are a viable DIY biomedia too.

dbosman
12-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Some of those bulbs will appear to die after several months. Some may simply be dormant so don't pull them until you know what you have.

New clay pots are usually a better choice than old ones, unless you absolutely know that the old ones have never had pesticides near them.

Our local Walmart is selling "clay" pots that aren't terra cotta. I cracked some open for caves and the inside is a gray matrix of something. I tossed them. I'll wait until spring and get real clay pots from the garden center.

rich311k
12-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Terra cotta is safe and plants will grow fine in them. Many people with bare bottom tanks grow plants that way.