PDA

View Full Version : 2.9 gallon tank

rach125
12-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Is this size suitable for a male betta?

Sarkazmo
12-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Absolutely. I recommend a Azoo Palm filter for filtration and a Tetra 50W heater to keep the water at a preset 78F.

Sark

lotus flower
12-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I actually have that heater, and it only keeps my water at a preset 75...but it's supposed to be 78+/-2 degrees either way. Still works nicely, though...my tank is a 2.5 gallon (well, that's the amount of actual water in it--it probably is a 3 gallon tank).

Pleco380
12-20-2010, 10:08 PM
2.9 gallons is fine for a betta. It beats the heck out of the bowl they're in before you buy them. You can probably find a nice betta kit with heater, filter etc.

Cyberra
12-20-2010, 11:51 PM
My betta Minutes to Midnight is very happy in a 3-gallon tank; he threw the biggest spazz fit I've ever seen when he first got in there. Straight from the cup to three gallons of free space. He honestly did not know which way to go first. Tried to go in every direction at once; all I could see was flailing fins.

Heaters... Heaters I'm a bit iffy on. I did put a heater in the 3-gallon with my red betta Supernova, just after a complete water change. Two days later he was dead, after going downhill really quickly. Pet store guys said "ammonia", but I have my doubts. The heater was a Tetra 50W, that I made sure of. But it did not get back into the tank after Nova's death. Whether you use one is entirely up to you.

Pleco380
12-21-2010, 02:02 AM
So you don't use a heater and you have no problems? If you did and then suddenly stop, ick will come.

Cyberra
12-21-2010, 03:47 AM
I use no heater, and my fish are fine. I put a heater in, and two days later my red betta died. After his death the heater was evicted, the tank cleaned and scoured before being refilled, and the new occupant is perfectly fine.

Pleco380
12-21-2010, 05:51 AM
So many mixed opinions on bettas with or without heaters.

Cyberra
12-21-2010, 06:13 AM
So many mixed opinions on bettas with or without heaters.

I'm just saying that when I put a heater in my tank, my fish died. To use a heater or not to use a heater is up to the individual betta owner. I personally will not use a heater for fear of losing another fish

Xavier
12-21-2010, 06:44 AM
Depends on how warm your apartment or house is. I keep my place cool, so if the temperature drops outside to -40C and it's nighttime, the apartment might go to 18-19C, and the aquarium temp would drop to 21-22C. So I keep a heater.

That being said, my betta is in a 15gal tank

Sarkazmo
12-21-2010, 06:52 AM
If you don't keep the water at tropical temps, and these fish are from SE Asia so they're tropical, they'll probably live longer. But they'll also pretty much do nothing but lay around. Fish are cold blooded like reptiles. They require heat from their surrounds to add to the tiny bit generated by their bodies through movement. If the water's too cold they won't be able to digest food properly and the food will literally rot in their gut, gasses will form, and the fish will die. Colder waters also provides better conditions for Ich to flourish.

Unless the heat was stuck on or contaminated with something, it didn't kill the fish. Most likely it was a coincidence that had nothing at all to do with the heater.

Of all the Betta I keep, the ones in unheated tanks do the worst. They get water changes and are taken care of but their movements are sluggish and they have more trouble with disease. Right now we're treating our female for Ich and I'm sure that the colder weather's the cause as the house has been very difficult to keep warm. I have a divided tank ready I just have nowhere to put it right now and my fish are suffering because I'm having a hard time keeping them warm.

Sark

Pleco380
12-21-2010, 07:09 AM
They live longer in unheated tanks?

Cyberra
12-21-2010, 07:28 AM
My largest tank is 3 gallons. The room temperature varies from 20 degrees C to close to 26 degrees C, depending on if I can stop mom from messing with the thermostat. All three tanks are in my room, which has a cracked window. The fish don't seem bothered at all

As for being active, these three zip around their tanks like finned missiles. Firetail will zip around his tank as if his tail were actually on fire, and Shimmer goes ballistic at the drop of a dust mote. Mid is more laid-back, but he does zip around all the time.

rach125
12-24-2010, 05:26 PM
thanks guys. im thinking this maybe my next addition to the house. Will do some more research first!

rach125
01-09-2011, 06:59 PM
ok decided to get a male betta. just a couple of questions. The guy at my LFS said that i wouldnt need a filter in my tank as long as i keep up with regular water changes (not a problem) but with this in mind how do i start to cycle my little tank? i have taken some gravel from my community tank and put it in my betta tank and filled with dechlorinated water, but what next? oh put plant and heater in too! how long before i can add a betta? thankyou again.

Cyberra
01-10-2011, 01:41 AM
None of my five tanks are filtered; I change the water once a week for the larger ones and twice a week for the smaller ones. All my plants are plastic, though, and I know absolutely zilch about cycling. I didn't cycle my small tanks for my bettas >>; They seem totally unbothered. My tanks were filled from the tap, and have added conditioner to make the water safer. Once the water temperature was right in went the fish.