PDA

View Full Version : Help

flyman155
12-20-2010, 02:55 AM
I have a 4 in common pleco with a "rice" like growth on his back, right in front of his dorsal fin......originally I thought that it was a case of ich, but after treating the tank for 10 days there was no improvement.......in fact, the growth got bigger......he is swimming and eating normally, my water quality is fine, and he is in no way stressed that I can tell......same tankmates for over 6 months......any ideas anyone?

Brhino
12-20-2010, 03:06 AM
it would be really helpful if you could post a picture, without it its hard to tell.

Can you tell us what size tank he's in, and what the tankmates are?
What your water parameters are, how often you do water changes and how large they are?

If you can't take a picture, try to describe the growth in as much detail as possible: size, color, texture, etc.

flyman155
12-20-2010, 03:18 AM
The fish is in a planted, 40 gallon with 5 black skirts, 6 serpae tetra, 6 assorted danios, and one very beatuiful, very bossy female Krib, who long ago gave up any sort of harrasment on the pleco in question....she was a little pissed off 6 months or so ago when I introduced the pleco but after a few scraps she apparently thought it was no longer worth it...I do a 50 percent water change every week, I learned long ago that H2O changes are the aquarist's best friend....the tank is well established and my parameters are all normal........the growth is like a little, fleshy, piece of rice.....about half the size of an actual grain, and a creamish color.....and there is only one.....the rest of it's body looks fine....and its coloration is normal....and I have yet to observe the fish scraping or flashing on any objects in the tank....

Brhino
12-20-2010, 03:28 AM
well, it's definitely not ich. Ich is small grains of salt all over. Is the growth stringy or cottony looking? If so, it may be a fungus. If not, my best guess is a tumor or a cyst. Fungus is treatable by a variety of medications. Tumors and cysts are not generally treatable.

I'm not very confidant in saying its anything without a picture, but those are my best guesses.

flyman155
12-20-2010, 03:51 AM
no its not stringy or cottony....it appears to be smooth in texture. Hopefully these pics are big enough to see the growth in front of it's dorsal fin.

Brhino
12-20-2010, 03:57 AM
is it a raised bump, or is it just a discoloration of the skin?

flyman155
12-20-2010, 04:01 AM
its raised....it appears as though someone cut a peice of rice in half and crazy glued it to it's back.

Brhino
12-20-2010, 04:08 AM
well, hopefully some other people can chime in, but it sounds like a tumor or cyst to me. If so, I don't know of any way to treat it, but at the same time it may not be harmful to the fish.

Pleco380
12-20-2010, 07:01 AM
If it looks like a pimple it may be what my SD had. He had a cyst and it grew and then popped. Shrunk then grew again and popped. Now it's almost completely gone. It never spread to other fish and he did fine.

flyman155
12-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Thanks guys....Ill keep my eye on it.......I actually think its bothering me more than the fish......