PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish not eating

lynn0971
12-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi,

I have had a goldfish for a year and a half now. He has been healthy all along. Never had any problems with him.

Last Sunday I decided to add a friend to the tank. We put in another goldfish. He seemed a bit wigged out about the second fish, but I figured that was normal. He however has not eaten since Monday night. He sits in the corner of the tank. When he does swim around, he swims erratic. Nothing has changed with the water. Could it be depression? It also looks like he may have scraped a couple of his scales(??)off on the side of his body. I am assuming he did that when swimming around crazy!

Can someone please give me some ideas on what the problem could be???
I really don't want to lose him/her!!!!

Thanks!!!
Lynn

Dacotah7
12-19-2010, 06:16 AM
I'm not sure but it sounds like the new addition may have been carrying some disease, effecting the original goldfish. The loss of scales and the eratic behavoir indicate something is amiss, more so than not eating. But goldfish rarely to never turn down food.

How large is the tank?
How large is each goldfish?
Is one much larger than the other?
What is your temperature and water parameters?
What do you have for filtration and aereation?

Xavier
12-19-2010, 06:39 AM
All of Dacotah7's questions need to be addressed for a complete picture.

It sounds like your new fish might have been carrying some illness, which is why a week of quarantine is always a good idea.

A side question: Have you added or introduced any new plastic items into the tank?

The symptoms you describe sound like "flashing" which indicates irritation. A drastic change in Ph, up or down, can cause it, as can residual chlorine or metals in new water, as can some parasites, usually anchor worms and flukes. Anchor worms are easily seen. (this info comes from a diagnostic book, not by my experience).

If all you did was add a new fish, and your old fish sits around looking tired before swimming around like mad, I think it is "flukes". BE WARNED: the best treatment for flukes (flukes tabs) will stress the fish, so be sure to eliminate all other possibilities before you treat for it.

Hanna
12-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Hi Lynn, it is very important to answer Dakotah7 questions, Xavier already pointed out the importance.

I just wonder that there is no response from when you started to ask for help.