PDA

View Full Version : species suitable for canadian ponds

jenhunt
12-18-2010, 10:17 PM
What species are suitable for a pond in southern canada other then koi and goldfish, was thiniking about trying the following species.After doing a bit of research.

1. Rosy red minnows- Have heard you can get them as feeder fish

2. weather loach- Have hear they can survive in the wild in Illinois which probably isn't much different then our climate.

3. White Cloud mountain Minnow- Have heard they can survive 5 degree temperature, also biologist near the saint lawrence river consider them a risk to establish in the wild so i assume there is at least some possibilty they could live in an outdoor pond over winter. have heard people in New York have successfully overwintered them.

4.Chinese high Fin banded Shark- I have heard they are hardy to climate zone 4

5. Paradise Fish- Have heard they do well in outdoor ponds year round in many parts of Europe.

6. Red Claw Crayfish- I am not sure if you can get louisiana red claw swamp crayfish here but i have heard that people can keep them in outdoor ponds in maine.

just wondering if anyone has any experience at all or knows anyone who has successfully overwintered any of these creatures in an outdoor pond. Also are there any other species which would be suitable for overwintering in an outdoor pond. thanks

Pleco380
12-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Never had a pond, but around here (southern interior BC) I've only seen koi so I have the feeling the other fish won't work. Not sure though. What province?

smaug
12-19-2010, 12:01 AM
If you don't want koi becausee you don't like them as a species that's good enough reason to try something else. If its because you don't think they can take the cold then you are mistaken. My pond ices over every winter and all my koi come through alive and healthy. If a hole can be kept open the koi will do fine. This same rule applys to any fish kept outdoors,they need air exchange at least part of a week so toxins can escape otherwise they will suffocate. You mention rosy reds, I have a few of them in my pond that overwinter and they look really good in a school. I also have a channel cat that overwinters with the koi.

jenhunt
12-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Nothing against Koi, just want to try something else other then just Koi and goldfish. Did some reading online about the species mentioned in my intial post and they seemed like somewhat promising candidates though i don't know anyone who has kept them outside all winter. I figured i would try and get some feedback regarding their suitability on the forum. I am located in southern nova Scotia Canada

Pleco380
12-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Interesting. I never knew the other fish could live in a pond.

Dacotah7
12-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Interesting. I never knew the other fish could live in a pond.

If it lives in lake in regions that freeze, it will live in a pond if the pond is large enough for the fish, and deep enough that it does not freeze solid, and has enough oxygen. One is looking for cold water fish.

Scrup
12-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Bitterlings would work also, as well as several other coldwater minnows and catfish. White clouds should work I would think, would be neat seeing a big school of those...

If you are dealing with freezing water on the surface, its probably too cold for some of those you listed. You could try it, but its risky. Also, paradise fish are just like cold water betta. Not much to look at from the top.

weather loach and crayfish might just up and leave on ya, and die somewhere in your yard, and would probably not survive the winter. If they did, again, nothing to look at as they would both be on the bottom 99% of the time.

sheamurai
12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
why not try native species? Chubs and shiners are bright minnows stocked by bait shops. If you're pond is big enough, pumpkinseed and bluegill, among others are worth trying. You might even try stocking something you can fish for, lol. Its fun to take kids out to your pond and drop a line in and pull out wee wigglers, even if you just put them back.

Crispy
12-31-2010, 09:59 PM
I have 2 largemouth bass and some big red-clawed crayfish outside in a canadian climate. it's their first winter in the pond, but should be fine. other species could be anything native like bluegill, perch, channel cats, bowfin, gar, etc.