PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to Build Nest

Rtifs
12-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Iím trying to breed my bettas and the male has finally figured out that he needs to build a nest. However, heís not putting a whole lot of effort in Ė he seems distracted by the hottie in his tank, and wants to spend his time trying to impress her. Anyway, when he does blow bubbles they donít last long and the nest doesnít really develop. Is he doing something wrong, or is there another cause? Is this a common problem among first time males?

korith
12-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Too much flow disturbing the water perhaps in the tank. Could try adding in some floating tanks into the tank as well.

Rtifs
12-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Actually thereís no water movement whatsoever. Itís a Walstad setup so it only uses plants for filtration.

Heís picked a spot that has plants on the surface. Iíve attached a pic and the nest in the middle is about as big as it gets. Heíll wander away for a minute and all the bubbles have popped before he comes back.

Brhino
12-17-2010, 10:00 PM
so he's making bubbles but they don't last? I think that's a water issue, then. If I'm not mistaken, water hardness plays into how sturdy a bubble will be. It's only a vague memory and I could be mistaken, but maybe it'll jog someone else's memory. Do you happen to know if your water is unusually hard or soft?

Rtifs
12-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Yes, I was considering water hardness as a possible culprit.

In preparation for the breeding attempt I did a major water change using distilled water. So hardness should be minimal, but Iíll have to check it. Maybe another water change is in order tomorrow.

HeatherB
12-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Some people also use a styrofoam cup, cut in half lenthwise to have the males make a nest under. It just helps it stay together.

Lady Hobbs
12-18-2010, 01:28 PM
http://joshday.com/howtobreedbettafish.htm

This is a pretty good article but I think I'd keep them in separate tanks so they can see one another and wait until his bubble next is complete before adding her to his tank.

Rtifs
12-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Well I think he may just be defective (I estimate his age at around 15 months, maybe heís over the hill for breeding purposes). Heís getting bubbles to last now, but there still arenít many of them. The female seems to have gotten impatient and blew some bubbles of her own. I transferred them to his nest and it nearly doubled in size. Iíll have to be careful not to make him feel emasculated! ;)