PDA

View Full Version : Can Red Cherry Shrimp survive in a coldwater tank?

mermaidwannabe
12-16-2010, 11:58 PM
I have read where some people have kept RCS in coldwater tanks. Can they withstand cooler water, and what is the minimum temperature (Fahrenheit) that they can tolerate?

-- mermaidwannabe

ippielb
12-17-2010, 12:08 AM
I have had cherry shrimp in cold water 1 gallon, very cold, they survived, but they didn't thrive.

Lady Hobbs
12-17-2010, 12:43 AM
65-85 is what I've read. My tank is 80.

dbosman
12-17-2010, 04:03 AM
Define cold.

I have kept a nice healthy colony in my basement cave/office with no heater in the tank. 65 degrees F was about normal water temperature all winter. It actually got colder in the Spring and Fall when we weren't using the furnace.

asgard
12-17-2010, 01:11 PM
In my expierience:

Above 89, expect dying shrimp within hours.
Between 83F-88F is too warm for their likings, but will survive.
Between 68F-82F the shrimps do best, breed well.
Between 59F-68F shrimps do fine but breeding stops as temp. drops. Is fine for nightly temperatures.
Between 50F-59F shrimps survive but don't breed
Between 40F-50F shrimps survive but life gets tricky
Below 40F for a short period this is survivable, expect losses up to 90% if temp is below 40F for weeks.

I keep my RCS population at room temp., others in an unheated shed and even now outside.
In the shed temps vary between 40F-50F for weeks now.
Outside, the pond (3x3 feet wide) (2 feet deep) is frozen for weeks now, water temps are below 40F for weeks also, same as the last 2 years. My population have been held outside for more the 3 years now, last year mor then 50% survived winter contditions from november till march.

Lady Hobbs
12-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Good info. Thanks.

I'm surprised mine survived being shipped last month. Altho I paid for a 72-hour heat pack, the seller only used a 24-hour and then sent priorty mail which takes 3 days. Poor things were white, barely moving and only half survived. But good ol' MI.......temps can be 50 one day and 10 the next.

How long for a clutch of eggs to hatch? I sure would like to clean the inside of the glass but have clutches of eggs all over the place.

Rhaethe
12-17-2010, 03:02 PM
My RCS don't lay the eggs on anything, but just keep them tucked in close under the tail until they hatch. Takes around a month or a little more.

Here's a couple decent articles.

http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_reproduction.html

korith
12-17-2010, 04:09 PM
In colder temps they'll just get more inactive. Someone in our club used to keep shrimp outside on his deck in a 55g year round without any issues.