PDA

View Full Version : Preventing plants from getting up-rooted

elfritobandito9
12-16-2010, 10:10 PM
What is the best way to preven plants from getting uprooted? I recently went to plants again and my pleco has been wreaking havoc on everything including my wiesteria. Anyone have a good anchoring suggestion?

Brhino
12-16-2010, 10:36 PM
is it a big pleco? A lot of fish, especially larger ones, will regularly uproot plants either for amusement or accidentally. If you've got a fish with its own aquascaping ideas, there's not much you can do about it.

elfritobandito9
12-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Yep. About 8 inches long at this point. 20 gal tank. I'm working on that...

Brhino
12-17-2010, 02:02 PM
yeah, a pleco that size is going to do whatever he wants with plants. You might have some luck with the types of plants that anchor to driftwood, rocks, and decorations (anubias, java fern, etc) if you tie them to the decoration, but anything that just roots in the ground isn't going to stand up to the pleco.

Rue
12-17-2010, 04:50 PM
No problem! Plant them in pots. You can bury the pots, or hide them behind driftwood or some other decorations...

Dacotah7
12-17-2010, 05:52 PM
No problem! Plant them in pots. You can bury the pots, or hide them behind driftwood or some other decorations...

Well maybe, if they are big pots with some weight, like terra cotta.
My pleco of about the same size, will up-cover 4" plastic pots full of dirt and tip them over!

I've lined the pots with coffee filters, added the dirt, and poked holes in another coffee filter to stick the plants through, using the second coffee filter to conatin the dirt in the pot. The top filter gets topped with gravel substrate to hold it in place. That has not lasted long, only a few weeks. it might work if I glued the pots to the floor, or glued or screwed the pot to a peice of slate, than covered the dirt with large rocks.

The bottom line, an 8" pleco in a 20 gallon tank? I think you need a tank stretcher or a fish shrinker. LOL. In any case, that probably is not a good combination. Likewise an 8" pleco and plants probably will always be a challenge and a point of frustration, the pleco not having the same plans as you do, nor never will.

Scrup
12-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I've found that plastic plants are the only ones my pleco leaves alone.

I do have one onion plant I have kept in my tank that no one has been able to uproot yet. Other than that, everything comes up sooner or later.

elfritobandito9
12-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Why did I have to buy a pleco...

Yeah, i'm not happy about cramming godzilla in that tiny tank. Whats even worse is the 7 inch pleco in the 10 gal tank below... I am hoping to get a Fuval Osaka 41gal and condense all my fish into that. That should give them more room. I would love to go bigger but my house is quite small...

Brhino
12-17-2010, 09:56 PM
common plecos need a massive amount of space. I wouldn't try to keep two of them in anything smaller than a 120 gallon tank. They're just going to keep growing... they can reach two feet in length. A 41 gallon will suit them for a little while, but not long (in fact, I would say at 8" and 7" they're already too big for that). If you don't have the money or space for a much larger aquarium, you really need to find another home for them. It's going to be impossible to keep a clean and healthy tank that size with two plecos in it.

Can I ask what other fish you've got in those two tanks?

elfritobandito9
12-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Unfortunately, Petsmart wont take them and I haven't had much luck with private parties. I just need to do the best with what I have right now. My 10 gal has the pleco, an albino cory and two of those glofish.
My 20 gal has the pleco, a red-tailed shark, upside-down catfish and 4 tetras. I know, overstocked... My uncle has a 55 gal with several plecos, big cichlids and some sharks. They seem to do fine. I'm hoping the 41 gal will suffice for some time. Hopefully by the time they are really outgrowing that, I will have room for a nice big tank.

Of course, if anyone on here wants a pleco, you know who to call...

(ghostbusters!)

Dacotah7
12-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Unfortunately, Petsmart wont take them and I haven't had much luck with private parties. I just need to do the best with what I have right now. My 10 gal has the pleco, an albino cory and two of those glofish.
My 20 gal has the pleco, a red-tailed shark, upside-down catfish and 4 tetras. I know, overstocked... My uncle has a 55 gal with several plecos, big cichlids and some sharks. They seem to do fine. I'm hoping the 41 gal will suffice for some time. Hopefully by the time they are really outgrowing that, I will have room for a nice big tank.

Of course, if anyone on here wants a pleco, you know who to call...

(ghostbusters!)

Big box stores usually don't like to trade, and even less, buy livestock off the street. Their business is not set up for that. Business is one way; in the back door, bought in bulk-wholesale and out the front door retail. You may have better luck selling or trading at a mom & pop LFS. We have a local store that does that. They pay 50% of their retail price, but not in cash, in the form of in-store merchandise, supplies or other livestock.

If you don't have such a store, try Craigs List to sell them locally, or eBay or http://www.aquabid.com/ to sell them online. If all else fails, you can give them away on FreeCycle.com

elfritobandito9
12-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Yep, no Aquarium store other than Petsmart. Does anyone here live in Traverse City, MI? We should open one...