PDA

View Full Version : Red cherry shrimp and Apistogramma Ramirezi

overburn
12-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Hello,

Can I keep RCS with rams? I don't seem to find anywhere if they are compatible or not.

CGY_Betta_Guy
12-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Rams will eat em if they can get their mouths around em.

ippielb
12-13-2010, 09:38 PM
NO! Don't even attempt it! i had 30 cherry's in a tank and i needed it for my rams, and they wiped them out within a day! Doesn't matter if they were big enough to fit in their mouth! because they tried anyways!

overburn
12-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Oh, thanks, good to know.
What about red cherry shrimp with a black moor goldfish?
I know the goldfish will try to eat them, but being a telescope i believe it will have a really hard time catching them. Am i right?

korith
12-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Most fish will eat shrimp. About the only fish that most articles refer to shrimp being safe with are otocinclus. I've kept them with microrasboras which are under an inch in size without any issues. Some fish even if their mouths are small, will try to tear and pick away at the shrimp.

overburn
12-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Hmm, I have in a 10 gallon aquarium a Black moor and 6 juvi clown loaches (the loaches are going to be moved to a 33 gallon in about a week, had to wait for the aquarium to cycle), and they are breeding like crazy and there is shrimp everywhere.

Wild Turkey
12-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Any fish over about 1" are going to eat the cherry shrimp with few exceptions.

Blackmoor get quite large and need large tanks, same with clown loaches; easily over a foot but they grow more slowly than the goldfish will. If you can, you should be watching for some larger tanks, you will need them. (Larger than 33 gallons)

overburn
12-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Yes, I am planning to upgrade to a 100G for the loaches and to a 20 for the goldfish, but that will happen in the summer. They should be ok in the 33 and 10 until then.

Also , the loaches will take ages to get to 20cm , so i have all the time in the world.

Sandz
12-14-2010, 11:12 PM
I guess I am in the minority. I have a mated pair of GBR in a tank with a breeding trio of guppies and 6 RCS. Even before I put plants in the tank the inhabitants were fine. Now that I have java fern and moss in the tank and some floating hornwart its a thriving tank that produces ram eggs and guppy fry continuously. I havnt seen shrimp babies and know nothing of them other than the adults are active and exist just fine with rams. I have not lost a shrimp yet and they have been in there several months.

Strider199
01-01-2011, 10:06 PM
The tank which I bought my Greman Blue Ram from had Cherry shrimp in it which the Rams didn't seem to bother with. I was going to pick up a few shrimp after my tank matures awhile longer. Maybe I'll watch the dealers tank a bit more closely next time I'm there.

Gisela
01-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I have quite a group of cherry shrimp and one Amano Shrimp with my Betta Alabaster in a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. Works out because of the plants and driftwood. Also I feed the Betta 3 times the day, he never gets hungry enough to eat them.