PDA

View Full Version : Tetra Question

Lukesrees
12-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am a complete novice to aquariaums so have a quick question for you. I currently have a tank with 2x dwarf Gourami's and 5 Black neon Tetras.I would like to add some of the blue/red neons in I was thinking an additional 5(making 5 black/white and 5 red/blue). 2 questions -

1 - Is it a problem introducing different colour Tetras
2 - will they all become one school or will they stick with their own?

Probably sound like rediculous questions but I dont want to disturb the tranquility in the tank and start any turf wars lol!

Thanks in advance!

ibuyen
12-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Size of your tank would help us, help you.

FishieWishie
12-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Ibuyen, speaking of size of tank, that's a strange mix of mix you have in the 55gal tank of yours. The Clown Loaches are going to outgrow that tank.

Lukesrees
12-14-2010, 11:27 PM
its a 15G tank.

Thanks

Brhino
12-14-2010, 11:49 PM
it's fine to introduce different species of tetras. They'll school separately but that's fine. For the record, fish that are the same species but different color morphs (for example, tiger barbs and green tiger barbs) will school together. Fish that look similar but are different species will not unless they they don't have sufficient numbers of their own species.

Also, you do have sufficient space in the tank for the additional fish you want to add.

Dave66
12-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Two male dwarf goramies will fight continually until one is dead. One male dwarf goramie per tank please.

Dave

vinodjbhatia
12-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Male dwarf gouramis are territorial. While in general male dwarf gouramis do fight, they can be kept together based on

a. size of the tank.
b. number of plants and hiding places.

As long its ensured that there is sufficient space in the tank and hiding places or places to call their own, gouramis can work out fine between themselves.

Lady Hobbs
12-15-2010, 01:37 PM
You have a small tank that should have had been stocked with only small fish.....no gourami. A group of glowlight tetra or neons tetra's or guppies would have been fine.

hockeyhead019
12-15-2010, 02:45 PM
You may be fine with the Dwarf gouramis... they can be peaceful however be advised if they begin to fight they will till death.

As to the tetra question you'll be fine adding more tetra IMO they're one of the best "small" tank fish, since they're energetic and come in a wide variety of colors

Lukesrees
12-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys - much appreciated.