PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Plecos

VoidParadigm
12-11-2010, 02:32 PM
All I basically want to know is if a Pleco will hunt down a Corydoras to eat.
Or, rather, if it's possible, as I always assumed the Corydoras was the faster of the two.

I'll be back when I remove the corpse from the tank, in any case.

gm72
12-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Ummmm...no.

VoidParadigm
12-11-2010, 02:55 PM
:shrug: Alright.
Just basing the question off the fact that some people claim their plecos have attached to, then killed their larger fish.
Cory must've died naturally, and the pleco just pulled it into it's cave to suck on.

gm72
12-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I've never heard of such a thing.

WhiteDevil
12-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Larger pleco's are known and have been known to suck the slime coat off of discus cichlids. Its rare but does happen, no pleco's do not kill to kill. If you think your pleco did this, you need to feed the pleco more often.

gm72
12-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Agreed. If a pleco goes hunting it is because he is significantly underfed.

Northernguy
12-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I think if a cory or any other fish is not doing well its movements will be labored and slow,its fair game for any hungry fish including a pleco.
Plecos do eat dead fish as well.
I have also heard of hungry plecos hunting small fish to eat.I had one that was given to me.Its gone now.The person that gave me the common pleco never fed it.They thought it just ate any debris on the bottom of the tank and algae.It kept eating all their fish,mostly tetras and a goldfish.
It caught and ate the side out of one of my malasian perch.They were both about 4"long and the perch was healthy.
Make sure you give the pleco a good varied diet,it should help.

VoidParadigm
12-11-2010, 05:32 PM
oh well. Chances are it was hungry, since i've had to be away several days a week the past month.

Now that i'm home proper i'll just have to watch that s/he doesn't make a habit of it, and try to count up the rest of my cories.

Scrup
12-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Pleco's will munch on any dead fish btw. My bet is the corry died from something else and was made into a snack.

lugnut
12-11-2010, 06:53 PM
My sailfin pleco (4 incher) is very good friends with the 2 corys in my tank.:hmm3grin2orange:

Australian natives
12-11-2010, 06:54 PM
one of my angels died recently (i think from bullying from other angel).
and my BN got to it. all that was left was a bit of skin and a spinal chord. (they ate it all within 12 hours of its death)

WhiteDevil
12-11-2010, 07:13 PM
one of my angels died recently (i think from bullying from other angel).
and my BN got to it. all that was left was a bit of skin and a spinal chord. (they ate it all within 12 hours of its death)
Catfish love fresh meat....

VoidParadigm
12-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Mm. So far as I can tell, what's been said to me is that Plecos won't hunt unless hungry, which does technically mean they'll hunt, which was the question. Though, I do acknowledge chances are higher that the Cory died some other way, then the Plec started nomming.

Oh well, the rest of the Cories are accounted for, and there has even been a good deal of spawning in the past few days, and Mr/s. Pleco has been filled up on algae tablets and pear.