PDA

View Full Version : Quick ? about shrimp

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2010, 12:41 AM
I got a couple dozen cherry shrimp last week that are growing up nicely. However, I notice two of them that are not pinkish at all but are just an ugly gray. I'm amusing they are different shrimp but I couldn't tell you what kind since cherries are all I'm familiar with.

My question would be......would they be compatible together or would this ugly gray shrimp perhaps kill the cherries or eat their fry. Sorry. That's all the info I can give.

Brhino
12-09-2010, 01:10 AM
mine took a while to color up after I got them, and the males never do get as red. Do they have no red at all? Could be some that just don't have the red gene... you might want to remove them if you want all your offspring to be as red as possible. I'd give them another week or two yet to see if they start to show any red, myself.

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2010, 04:07 AM
OK.....will do. Guy said they all come from various cherry shrimp tanks so perhaps they are just slower to color up. I didn't want any renegrades in the tank.

equadean
12-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Cherry shrimps can have different grade in colors. The one you mention; ugly grey, they could be the wild form of cherry shrimps. You don't have to worry about these shrimps as all dwarf shrimps won't eat or kill any other different species of shrimps or the shrimplets.

From transparent red color to darker red color
Cherry shrimp> Sakura shrimp > Fire Red Shrimp > Painted Fire Red shrimp

They are all from Neocaridina Heteropoda var. Red.

HomaridNoob6
12-09-2010, 06:07 AM
I wouldn't worry about it LH. I keep cherries, ghosties, amano's, and a couple diff color morphs all in one tank, they're fine and I'm constantly removing shrimp, even with fish in the tank the population explodes every month to month and a half or so. Look closely at this picture.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/lobsterrabbi/fish%20and%20tanks/P10104932.jpg

If you see that little baby shrimp in the upper right on top of the rock, that's about the size I find that shrimp start being safe (from other shrimp) and typically survive from(unless a fish sees them). Before that they get eaten, but once they're recognizable as shrimp they're usually fine. It doesn't really matter the color variation, they're pretty peaceful in general.

Sarkazmo
12-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Broods will often throw a wild coloured one. Some breeders cull. It's another cool shrimp in my eyes. RCS don't eat their young unless it dies from some other cause. Ghosts will certainly eat other shrimp's offspring, they'll even take fish fry. They're small but long arm shrimp are dangerous to small critters.

Heads up to you, Hobbs. You're going to find "Dead Shrimp" sometimes and think you've lost one. Look closely because it's likely to be a molted carapace. It'll be hollow but look just like a pale, dead shrimp. Don't freak too much. :)

Sark

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Ok everyone. Answers much appreciated. Mr Ugly will be staying. Just wanted to make sure he wasn't an unfriendly variety.