PDA

View Full Version : Black planted aquarium substrate?

EmmanuelJB
12-08-2010, 09:41 PM
In my 60 gallon planted I currently have some black fluorite but I need more substrate and I am looking for some other substrate options. I want it to be relatively cheap, and I dont want it to make a huge mess in my aquarium like fluorite does... If it comes down to it I am just going to get some black gravel, but I would prefer somthing better.

Brhino
12-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Lady Hobbs will be along to recommend the Aquariumplants.com freshwater aquarium plant substrate (http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm) shortly. :hmm3grin2orange: I'm planning on using it in my next tank but haven't yet.

DrNic
12-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Black gravel is cheap but be careful. Every time I've tried to get standard gravel in black coloring after a wash it would be grey and against something that is really black you'll see the difference. Stop by a garden shop, they may have volcanic sand (i.e. black sand) that you can mix in with potting soil. Works fine in tanks though.

WhiteDevil
12-08-2010, 09:47 PM
eco complete, black, doesnt need rinsing.

DrNic
12-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Lady Hobbs will be along to recommend the Aquariumplants.com freshwater aquarium plant substrate (http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm) shortly. :hmm3grin2orange: I'm planning on using it in my next tank but haven't yet.

I've also heard really good things about their stuff! I might try it in my next setup as well.

EmmanuelJB
12-08-2010, 10:10 PM
I will look into both substrates suggested, (I am especially intrested in the one on the link). My main concern is that I want to be able to add the substrate to my aquarium without washing it (would be possibly willing to lightly rinse), and it not cause my aquarium to get cloudy.

Thanks!

WhiteDevil
12-09-2010, 02:08 AM
I use aquariumplants.com substrate, its friggin sweet. MINE didnt need a rinse but I think LH's mix said to rinse once.

Their black diamond does look dark graphite grey under high wattage.
Black gravel turns grey because the epoxy its coated in coming off.

Sarkazmo
12-09-2010, 11:39 AM

I echo the Eco-Complete. :)

Sark

EmmanuelJB
12-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks! I just ordered some black ECO complete from petco.com.

dragoonwoman
12-10-2010, 03:19 PM

I have that in my 46, and it's pretty good, but brace yourself for sticker shock - it's VERY expensive for a large tank.

Check out the aquariumplants.com substrate. Lady Hobbs swears by it, and it's a lot less expensive. I use their fert pellets and can recommend them highly. You get a lot in the bottle (about 100) which makes them much less expensive to use than other root tabs.