PDA

View Full Version : Tankmates for White Cloud?

teddscau
12-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I have a 29g tank that I'm going to design for my white cloud, Patch. The temperature is going to be between 69-74 degrees. What fish can I put in there? Could you give me a list of fish I can put in there? My tank is going to be an oriental theme (the decorations, not the fish).

gabbyguppy
12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I'd start with more White Clouds. They like the company of their own kind.

Karen

teddscau
12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
He's a golden white cloud. Would he school with normal white clouds? It would look cute!

Taurus
12-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes, they should school together. When I comes to that, they're pretty much color blind.

Add some cherry barbs.

gabbyguppy
12-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I think he would, but it would make more of a statement to have several of the same variety.

Taurus
12-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Yup, if you can find them.

Red
12-08-2010, 09:06 PM
They would all school together. You could put 4 dojo loaches in there. You could also put some gambusia in there as well, not much color but there cool to have.

teddscau
12-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I can easily get more golden white clouds. I'm not sure if I'd be able to find mosquito fish.

Taurus
12-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Sounds like CPDs, Celestial Pearl Danios or Danio margaritatus.

teddscau
12-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah, that's what it was. Could I keep those in my 29g? What's their temperature range? I've read 68-84. I'd like a more accurate number. Thanks.

Taurus
12-08-2010, 09:28 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/celestialpearldanio.php

FWIW, everything I've read on them seems to indicate that they do best in a species only tank. I have never kept them myself though.

teddscau
12-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Oh, thanks! When I looked up danios on the forum I didn't find that. Definately going to get some of those for the 29g. I plan on getting calm, peaceful fish. I think they'll do well with my fish.

Next question:

What shrimp like 69-74 degree water? I absolutely love shrimp. I haven't kept cooler water fish so most of the fish you're suggesting are new to me. I can finish buying fish for my 90g after my ram recovers from hole in the head (she's in the 29g). It won't clear up. She's been sick for at least 3 months now.

mermaidwannabe
12-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Zebra Danios go well with White Cloud minnows, and if you'd like a dash of bright color, you can get the Glo-fish danios, as well. I have both the regular zebras and Glo-fish in my tank with my White Clouds.

White Clouds are a schooling fish, so you definitely need to add more of those.

Dojos are cute little bottom feeders, also known as weather loaches or weather fish. They look like eels.

For invertebrates, I suggest pond snails (Japanese Trapdoor snails). They prefer cooler water, and seem to be quite hardy.

Since yours is a 29 gallon tank -- almost a 30 -- maybe a small school of Rosy Barbs will also work. Unlike tropical barbs, they can tolerate temperatures down to 55F.

-- mermaidwannabe

Taurus
12-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Since yours is a 29 gallon tank -- almost a 30 -- maybe a small school of Rosy Barbs will also work. Unlike tropical barbs, they can tolerate temperatures down to 55F.
-- mermaidwannabe

I have to respectfully disagree with the Rosy Barb recommendation for a 29 gallon tank. A 29 gallon tank is only 30" long. Rosy Barbs, because of their potential length at adulthood, should be housed in a tank at least 36" long, or a standard 30 gallon tank, IMHO.

asgard
12-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Rhinogobius duospilus (White cheeked goby) goes perfectly with white clouds, come from the same streams. Live food is prefeered, frozen (bloodworms) are also accepted, no flakes or pellets though.

teddscau
12-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Awesome fish you suggested asgard! Definately going to get some of those (if I can find some).

This is a must have list for my 29g: white clouds, white cheecked gobies, celestial pearl danios, and bee shrimp (various colours).

I still want to get some sort of cory. I'd like corys that stay small.

asgard
12-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Awesome fish you suggested asgard! Definately going to get some of those (if I can find some).

This is a must have list for my 29g: white clouds, white cheecked gobies, celestial pearl danios, and bee shrimp (various colours).

I still want to get some sort of cory. I'd like corys that stay small.
I'm glad you like the suggestion,
I keep (overwinter) WCMM, the gobies and roundtail paradisefish (M. ocellatus) together in a small tank (70*20*20cm 28L) which works perfectly, so a 29G is perfect. In spring/summer I keep the fishes outside in a small pond 500L, they reproduce and become more beautifull and stronger outside. Winters are to cold overhere.

My 'overwintering' tank

http://www.aquaforum.nl/gallery/upload/asgardimg044.jpg
daytime

http://www.aquaforum.nl/gallery/upload/asgardimg045.jpg
evening

my 'pond'
http://www.aquaforum.nl/gallery/upload/asgardimg012.jpg

http://www.aquaforum.nl/gallery/upload/asgardimg028.jpg

Shrimp is not a good combination with WCMM and especially not with the gobies. The WCMM will hunt the shrimplets, the gobies eat young AND adult shrimp. I've kept them (the fish) with RCS which breed much more prolifically then bee shrimp, started with 100+ RCS but population was not maintainable.
Small cory's can be a problem too, gobies are somewhat territorial, usually not towards other species, but both fish are bottom dwellers so.... play save is my 2 cents

teddscau
12-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Gobies eat shrimp? I might try putting ghost shrimp in with them if I do get gobies. See how it goes. By the way, nice tank and pond you've got!

I know this doesn't have to do with coldwater tanks, but could I keep Bolivian rams at a pH of 8? I designed my 90g so I could keep German rams but my pH is way too high for them. Could I keep Bolivians? Would they be fine at that pH? I even put a nice, large flat rock in there for them to lay eggs on.

asgard
12-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Gobies eat shrimp? I might try putting ghost shrimp in with them if I do get gobies. See how it goes. By the way, nice tank and pond you've got!

I know this doesn't have to do with coldwater tanks, but could I keep Bolivian rams at a pH of 8? I designed my 90g so I could keep German rams but my pH is way too high for them. Could I keep Bolivians? Would they be fine at that pH? I even put a nice, large flat rock in there for them to lay eggs on.
Yep, gobies eat shrimp. Bigger shrimp species are save, C. japonica (amano shrimp) is a good choice, but they don't breed (need brackish water for their larvae)
About Bolivian rams: here (http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Bolivian_Ram_Mikrogeophagus_altispinosus.php) and here (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Mikrogeophagus&species=altispinosus&id=138) is some info.

teddscau
12-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I read that white cheeked gobies need brackish water though. Is that true or is it kind of like how people say mollies need brackish water? My mollies are finer than fine in water with absolutely no salt.
As for the Bolivians the pH might be a little finicky. My cardinal tetras are suppose to be more delicate if the pH is above 6 and if the water's hard, but I haven't lost any cardinals since setting up my 90g. My pH is 8 and my water is hard. I think the Bolivians should be able to work out. Need to get at least 2 more cardinals. I have 8 right now.

asgard
12-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I read that white cheeked gobies need brackish water though. Where did you read that? Some goby species need brackish water, white cheecked gobies do not, I've bred hundreds of them.