PDA

View Full Version : I have a silly question..

MCools
12-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Can fish get fat like other animals? I'm asking because every time my mom comes over she tells me that my ryukin goldfish is fat. Now, he is an egg shaped fish to begin with, so he always looks fat to me. He's also a bottom feeder who picks the tank clean so I never have any left over food laying around. Is it possible that I'm overfeeding him and I don't know it? I feed him singing pellets (a pinch of tiny ones) twice a day and peas usually once a week. He also likes to steal some of the zucchini I put in the tank for the snail. He swims around fine and is active, so I don't see any problems.

Is this something I should worry about? I guess you could say that I want to end this argument, and I figured the good folks here should have an answer:ssmile:

jaysee
12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Yes, fish can get fat just like any other animal.

Brhino
12-08-2010, 05:26 PM
there are also a number of conditions that can cause fish to swell up, such as constipation, bloating, or problems with the swim bladder or kidneys. With that said, though, there are certainly several types of goldfish that have been bred to be very round and fat, so it could be hard to say if the fish is healthy or not just based on how round it is.

equadean
12-08-2010, 05:31 PM
If goldfish still active when he's fat, I don't think you should be worry much. Maybe you can try to reduce the feeding for a couple of days and see if he can lose some weight. Just a suggestion. :)

Rue
12-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes. Fish get fat. Too fat isn't good for them...same goes for the rest of us...

mermaidwannabe
12-08-2010, 05:34 PM
If they're carrying eggs, they could swell up, too.

I know my Dojos can get fat. My first one is three times around what he was when I got him. The second Dojo is slimmer, but still getting bigger. I have cut way back on the O-Nips I normally give them to eat, as they love them and will hog them. Instead of a full tablet, now, I break one tablet into four pieces and each Dojo only gets one-fourth -- and then only about once a week, now, as opposed to every day like before.

In the meantime, they can forage on any other food that lands on the substrate from feeding my other fish. Also, the occasional algae pellet goes in for them.

Fish can get fat, even obese. And like with humans, obesity can be deadly. That's why I've been watching it carefully with my Dojos.

As for goldies -- some of them are bred so grotesquely fat-looking to begin with, it's a wonder they can even swim. I would say that as long as your goldies don't show any signs of distress, they're probably okay. Just minimize the feeding. As long as food is offered, they won't starve.

And that is NOT a silly question ...

-- mermaidwannabe
:fish2: :fish: :goldfish: :fish:

MCools
12-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks everyone! He's bred to be on the round side, so that does make it hard to tell!

I don't think he's sick, and I know he's not constipated (he's a poo machine, LOL!) I would entertain the egg-laden thought if I had more than one, but I've had him for months all by himself.

I think I'll cut back a bit on the feeding for a week and see if anything happens, just in case. I'd hate to think I've made my fish obese!

I'm glad you don't think it's a silly question. To me the idea itself is a little weird!

Thanks again!