PDA

View Full Version : RCS population explosion questions

Brhino
12-07-2010, 02:07 PM
My initial excitement at finding cherry shrimp babies in my community tank has been tempered somewhat as the population continues to grow. Last night at feeding time (they all come out of the woodwork to go after bits of the sinking pellets that the bottom feeders scatter) I counted over a hundred of them, which means the population has at a minimum increased by a factor of five in the three and a half months I had them. So, I'm starting to have some questions.

1. Will a RCS population have any sort of built-in population control? Obviously between food scraps, algae, and plant matter they have more than enough food, and obviously whatever predation might be occuring by the fish is having a minimal effect. Do people that keep RCS find themselves constantly removing shrimp from their tanks?
2. I've been thinking about feeding some shrimp to the betta. Would a couple shrimp on a fairly regular basis by a good or bad dietary option for a betta?
3. Any other suggestions for reducing the population in a non-wasteful (ie not just removing and killing them) way? My LFS doesn't want any and I don't really want to get into online or craigslist selling.

Scrup
12-07-2010, 04:55 PM
They make great fish snacks.

Brhino
12-07-2010, 04:58 PM
all right, good. My small community fish don't seem to be touching them, and I don't want to give them to the goldfish (too much protein, right?), but I figure I can give the betta a couple small ones every other day or so.

Scrup
12-07-2010, 05:01 PM
a few every now and then won't hurt the goldfish. I've used whole peoplefood shrimp in goldfish food before without any ill effects. Just not a large amount.

Brhino
12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
all right, I might drop a couple in there and see what happens. If they make it to the marble substrate they could probably evade the goldies for a while.

dbosman
12-07-2010, 06:46 PM
counted over a hundred of them, which means the population has at a minimum increased by a factor of five in the three and a half months I had them. So, I'm starting to have some questions.

Congratulations. Your tank and shrimp are in excellent health.

1. Will a RCS population have any sort of built-in population control? Obviously between food scraps, algae, and plant matter they have more than enough food, and obviously whatever predation might be occuring by the fish is having a minimal effect. Do people that keep RCS find themselves constantly removing shrimp from their tanks?

Yes to both questions. The population will self stabilize at some point, but it might be a higher number than your filter can handle during a media change.

Yes, people with healthy shrimp population usually end up removing and selling or giving away excess shrimp. Your LFS might take your excess (in trade for store credit or food) but they'll want nearly full grown shrimp so their customers can see them in the display tank.

2. I've been thinking about feeding some shrimp to the betta. Would a couple shrimp on a fairly regular basis by a good or bad dietary option for a betta?

If your betta will eat them, it will probably want small ones. Give it a go and see how many it pigs out on.

3. Any other suggestions for reducing the population in a non-wasteful (ie not just removing and killing them) way? My LFS doesn't want any and I don't really want to get into online or craigslist selling.

May of the people here would be happy to pay the cost of shipping and supplies, to get shrimp from a healthy colony. My guess is you'd get more requests than you can fill, the first time you offered.

Brhino
12-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm not really comfortable with the idea of trying to ship them, which I guess is sort of ironic since I got them off of aquabid. I've never shipped fish before, I don't have any of the supplies, and even though I've read some guides the whole thing is very daunting.

Brhino
12-08-2010, 01:04 AM
well, I added four shrimp each to my betta and goldfish tanks, and as of right now the score is Shrimp 8, Predators 0. Both the betta and the goldies took a run at them, but the shrimp can jet several inches away in the blink of an eye. Hm. Well, it should give the fish something to do at least.