PDA

View Full Version : flying fox algea eater

jfd
06-28-2007, 10:43 PM
I bought one of these guys last month. He doesn't seem to ever suck anything-he swims around and eats like the other fish. He never even hangs out on the botttom. He is great in my community tank but does anyone know anything about him?

RobbieG
06-29-2007, 12:49 AM
They do just fine on regular fish food (they only eat algae when they are little)

They can get aggressive when they get older

jfd
06-29-2007, 01:07 AM
How big do they get and are they like some angels- if you get them young they get used to living with a lot of fish? Now I suppose I have to get another algea eater that actually is a more serious a. eater

Chrona
06-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Siamese flying fox - one of the best algae eaters out there. Never gets aggressive, never stops eating.

Flying Fox - basically same as above except it doesn't eat as much algae

Chinese Algae eater - gets aggressive as it matures and doesn't eat algae later on

Try a search on google for some pics to ID what you have. The main thing to look for is how far the horizontal black stripe goes back.

crackatinny
06-29-2007, 01:14 AM
From what I have read and heard, the true alge eater has the stripe continuing right through the tail.

jfd
06-29-2007, 02:14 AM
The stripe goes through the tail but I have never seen him eat algea. After researching I am more nervous about my chinese algea eater now. I had a chinese a.e. for years and never had a problem so naturally I got another one when he died. If these fish turn aggressive and stop eating algea why when you ask the lfs for an algea eater a chinese one is what they always give you. I am going this weekend to check it out and hopefully I am wrong but all the pics say chinese.

troy
06-29-2007, 02:30 AM
You could get an Otocinclus(also known as otos.) They only get about 2 inches long.