lights on for 5 hours
Off for 7 hours
On for 6 hours
off for 5 hours

is this too much or too little, or maybe someone has better idea for me. thanks

Scrup
12-06-2010, 11:36 PM
why is it staggered?

I usually just set mine to mimic the sun.

rich311k
12-06-2010, 11:51 PM
I do ten hours a day from 2 to 12. That way they are on when I am home in the evening.

Sasquatch
12-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Eight to ten hours per day is usually sufficient for a planted tank.

Staggering the time the lights are on can help control algae, but if your plants are healthy, they should be doing a good job of controlling nutrients on their own, so no need to stagger the lights.

Brhino
12-07-2010, 12:24 AM
the other reason why people aim to split the photoperiod is because people want to be able to see their tanks in the morning before they leave for work and in the evening when they get home, but don't need it on during the day when they're gone. I'd like to do that myself (the lights in my planted tank are on from 2-10pm), but I've heard conflicting reports on whether that is good for the plants, good for the algae, or doesn't matter either way.

CGY_Betta_Guy
12-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Hmmm... I thought we had 24 hours in a day... not 23? OP is missing an hour or on a different planet. :D

I also mimic the sun as much as possible... and since I am home longer in the evenings the lights come on around quitting time and stay on til late in the evening.

DrNic
12-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I run my timers for 13 hours a day with no problems. On at ~9AM and off ~10PM. Fish and plants seem fine.

Plant Man
12-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Currently this is how my time is set up
lights on for 5 hours
Off for 7 hours
On for 6 hours
off for 5 hours

is this too much or too little, or maybe someone has better idea for me. thanks

Plants don't photosynthesize for much more then 8 hours in a 24 hour period. I would stick to no more then say 10 hours of light though a 24 hour period. I read somewhere that it takes some time for plants to reach total nutrient up take speed. Pick a time when your tank is being viewed most and have the lights on during that time.

Staggering your lights is probably not the best way to do it. That being said, I have seen pictures of beautiful pressure Co2 injected planted tanks that had lighting that was on for 5 hours (in the morning) off for 6 hours and then back on for 5 more hours (in the evening) and then off for 8 hours (the night).

But most experienced planted tank hobbyists recommend an 8-10 hour straight photoperiod.

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm with Scrup. I just minic the hours of normal sunlight. 8 AM-6 PM but I also do not work so am home those hours.