PDA

View Full Version : Just a picture of my two piranha's

ippielb
12-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Here's a picture of my tank i have, with the aqua clear 70 filter, and my home made sump. Just got a piece of driftwood, and the clear acrylic in the bottom corner is a home i made for my pleco to get away from the piranha's, as he was causing a lot of stress for my angelfish, i removed it and put it in this tank. Just did some cleaning so the waters a little murky, and i have a diatom problem but with the pleco, he's been doing some work in the night time.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/P1070258.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/P1070259.jpg

After looking at my tank, i think i was falsely informed that it's a 90 gallon. I'm thinking it's more like a 70-80 gallon. I took a look at the 90's in the stores, and they're seeming a bit bigger then mine. So i'm thinking it's not a 90. And i'm no good at math, so does anyone know how to calculate the capacity?

Cliff
12-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Nice looking fish

Have you the below info to help you determine your tank size?

http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm

ippielb
12-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Tank size is 48 1/2" long, 20" deep, and 16" wide. And i don't see it on that sheet.

MCHRKiller
12-05-2010, 10:45 PM
66.5 gallons actually :11:

ippielb
12-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow, that's a lot smaller then what i was told! I'm glad i didn't get any fish that need a 90 gallon. I'm looking to get rid of those piranhas too. I can't take care of them, they refuse to eat until they're at the brink of starving to death. I've tried my best to get them to settle down in 5 months, but no matter what i do they go crazy and crash into the glass and hurt themselves.

MCHRKiller
12-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Piranha are very skittish fish, which need large accommodations and low lighting. Depending on species they also require a shoal...it would be best to rehome them :11:

ippielb
12-05-2010, 11:11 PM
I've been trying to give the fish away for the past 2 months, and i've only gotten responses from people with 33 gallon tank or smaller. I can't do that to the fish. Yeah, i might not like them at all, but you know, i can't do that.

MCHRKiller
12-05-2010, 11:42 PM
No LFS will take them?

ippielb
12-06-2010, 12:38 AM
No, none of mine that i know will take them. They're afraid of contamination or something if i remember correctly.

reef12
12-10-2010, 04:03 PM
To small a tank for two really.
First tank is way to bright.
Dark gravel and a dark background.
Cover the sides so they won't want to crash into nothing.
I hope it works out for you.
Had the critters 4 times a real treat if you can them from attacking each other.

Jeff

mermaidwannabe
12-12-2010, 10:37 PM
If the LFS is afraid of contaminiation, can't they quarantine them for awhile to determine if they're healthy? Sounds to me like they just don't want them, and are using that as an excuse. I don't know how popular Piranhas are, maybe they think they can't sell them.

And who told you your tank was 90 gallons when it's actually only 66.5? Did you buy it from someone, or was it a freebie? If you had to pay for it, I would have a little chat with that seller, if I were you.

-- mermaid
:fish: :fish2: :goldfish: :fish2:

ippielb
12-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Was a freebie! So i'm not complaining at all! Came with the stand and the AQ 70 filter, plus i have added a Fluval U3 filter, and a home made sump(390gallons per hour).

Cyberra
12-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Those are some nice-looking fish ^^ I've seen them in the local pet store... A bit too big and toothy for me, but still really cool to look at

Sandz
12-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Those guys are of good size. What are you feeding them that they refuse to eat?

ippielb
12-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Beef heart, chicken, fresh fish, large frozen shrimp. I've tried everything, soaking the stuff in blood, splashing surface. I had ten feeder goldfish, and left them in there, and they basically refused to eat until they were at brink of starvation.

Sandz
12-22-2010, 05:14 PM
How often are you feeding them? Ive had friends who had them. They look like red bellies. Generally you want to have 4-6 in a school in very dark conditions and a VERY low traffic area. It seemed wierd to me at the time but my friend had a 150gal in a closet, blacked the back of the tank and used black sand. He fed them twice a week with relative foods to what you are using but when he fed them feeders he would crush them like you do sardines when chumming. It doesnt sound like you want to go through all that trouble though.

ippielb
12-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Nope don't want to. Just getting rid of them.

Strider199
12-30-2010, 11:15 PM
I had 12 Red Bellied Piranhas in a 32 gallon tank back in 1982 and one Black Piranha which caused havac with the school. One day after coming home from school he was only partially there.

They were great fish to keep. Just dont turn on the light after dark or they would do that craching into the side of the tank thing. They ate everything I put in the tank, beefheart, dew worms, feeder fish, etc. As they grew (they were the size of a silver dollar when I bought them), the school thinned out.

I dont remember any of them getting any sickness period.

After 6 years I gave the last two away to a friend. They were six inches long and almost as tall. Great memories.

tyrone681
12-30-2010, 11:21 PM
hey mate were do u live i have a 114 us gallon tank with a nice oscar and a synodontis

ippielb
12-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Canada, i see you're from australia, thats too far for me to ship, i don't trust myself to do any shipping on these fish. I've never done it before.