PDA

View Full Version : The picky and not-so-picky

Cyberra
12-05-2010, 02:39 AM
I seem to always manage to pick the fish with the weird quirks...

My white betta, Shimmer, I tease about being a pig with fins. Put the bloodworms in his tank they are gone within thirty seconds. For the rest of the day, if my hand even eases in the general direction of the food container, Shimmer starts dancing. He fluffs out his fins, dances along the side of the tank to the opening where I drop the food in, hovers under it, then zips back and repeats. You can almost hear the "Food? Food? Can I have some food? Please? Food? Food?" His dancing usually gets him one or two fair-sized worms "between meals".

Minutes to Midnight, on the other fin, is very finicky. He is so fussy about the size of the bloodworms that he'll eat I end up feeding him the worms one at a time with a pair of tweezers. The ones he rejects I scoop out and give to Shimmer. It can take up to five minutes for Mid to eat his fill because of his fussiness.

Does anyone else have a betta with odd eating habits, or is it just me who finds the oddballs?

rich311k
12-05-2010, 03:29 AM
Dont feed him for a few days that will get him eating what you feed. They really only need two or three worms. I would not feed the blood worms everyday. A balanced diet is always better.

Cyberra
12-05-2010, 04:27 AM
Dont feed him for a few days that will get him eating what you feed. They really only need two or three worms. I would not feed the blood worms everyday. A balanced diet is always better.

It's the size of the bloodworms he's fussy about. He won't eat the big ones. And the worms are all I have, which means I'll have to go get some other betta food

Xavier
12-05-2010, 04:47 AM
I feed New Life Spectrum for bettas. 5 pellets in the morning and 5 at night. He isn't fussy anymore.

Cyberra
12-05-2010, 05:03 AM
I'll see what the pet store stocks

Cyberra
12-06-2010, 01:41 AM
I feed New Life Spectrum for bettas. 5 pellets in the morning and 5 at night. He isn't fussy anymore.

The local store only carries Nutrafin. I got both pellets and flakes, but neither fish is crazy about the flakes. When Shimmer ate his first pellet, he turned and stared at me as if to ask, "Are you sure this stuff is food?"

mikeDUDS
12-06-2010, 05:22 PM
My betta goes crazy for these. Similar feeding schedule to Xavier. Makes worms and other live foods a sometimes snack ;)

http://www.hikari.info/tropical/t_14.html

Pick em up if you can find em. They are pretty cheap too!

Cyberra
12-06-2010, 06:50 PM
My betta goes crazy for these. Similar feeding schedule to Xavier. Makes worms and other live foods a sometimes snack ;)

http://www.hikari.info/tropical/t_14.html

Pick em up if you can find em. They are pretty cheap too!

Nutrafin is all the local pet store carries, along with a few random Tetra-brand goldfish foods. Mid and Shimmer are quickly getting used to the pellets; they're being snapped up as fast as I drop them in the tank. Can actually hear them crunching in Shimmer's mouth

mikeDUDS
12-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Ooops! I seemed to have somehow missed that from your previous post. Good to hear they are weening off those worms and willing to swap! thumbs2: Its like eating caviar (heh couldn't resist) everyday and then having nothing to eat but Tap Ramen! XD

Duds

Cyberra
12-07-2010, 12:45 AM
XD They actually seem to like the pellets (the pellets are getting snapped up as fast as they go in), but neither will touch the flakes. It's funny. ^^ I come from a family of picky eaters, so these two fit right in

lotus flower
12-13-2010, 06:30 PM
If your LFS stocks Tetra brand (as I believe you said), then Tetra makes a pellet specifically for bettas you might try called Tetramin Betta. It may be mixed in with the other Tetra flakes and products--maybe have a look-see next time you're in. Glad to hear the fellows are eating the pellets now!

Cyberra
12-14-2010, 06:33 AM
If your LFS stocks Tetra brand (as I believe you said), then Tetra makes a pellet specifically for bettas you might try called Tetramin Betta. It may be mixed in with the other Tetra flakes and products--maybe have a look-see next time you're in. Glad to hear the fellows are eating the pellets now!

I'll check next time I'm in there ^_^ They're eating the pellets... and given the opportunity Shimmer would stuff himself with them until he was as fat as a pufferfish.

And the local store is Pets Unlimited. It's the only store on this island, that I know of