PDA

View Full Version : Will higher lighting hurt my low light plants?

Ikshvaku
12-04-2010, 06:25 PM
I have a 38 gallon tank that's heavily planted with anubias, java fern, and a bit of java moss, and I'm really sick of the terribly standard lighting, just as it is insufficient. I have a normal house lamp with several bulbs that I'd like to use to illuminate the tank better (it's one of those ones with flexible heads)

I was planning on using fluorescent style bulbs that essentially work like incandescent, so they won't mess with the heat. The bulbs I'm looking at are just commercial ones, so they say 60 watt, but only consume the power of a 15 watt or so.

But would I have to switch out my current plants to higher light plants? And if not, could I move some higher light plants in to supplement it?

MCHRKiller
12-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Nope, all of those plants do well in higher light as well. They grow like weeds for me under 260watts of lighting. Also if the bulb says it consumes 15watts of power but puts out the equivelant to 60 that means you are not getting 60watts of lighting. You are still getting 15watts of lighting, but the bulb looks as bright as a 60watt incandescent bulb to the human eye. For aquarium purposes its still 15watt. I would probably just invest in a quality PC aquarium striplight, PC doesnt have the intensity of HOT5 and keeps injecting CO2 from becoming a priority.

Ikshvaku
12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
I would dearly love to do exactly that, however, such a set up is not quite as cheap as the twenty dollar one I purchased at target.

I'm not doing this for my plants, this is just so I can see the fish and the tank better. I got one of those horrible Aqueon set ups (which has just terrible lighting), because I bought the tank when petco was having some huge sale.

rich311k
12-04-2010, 11:18 PM
The plants will be fine in higher light. Still a good ideato shade the anubia as the leaves have a tendancy to pick up algae.