PDA

View Full Version : New to PLANTED aquariums

CassieLEO
12-04-2010, 12:00 PM
I have a 55 Gallon cycled tank. Ive been adding freshwater plants that my LFS said are hardy, swords and I forget the other ones. My question is about lighting. I have a plain strip light on the tank. I know that it isnt enough light or what the plants need. BUT I do have the tank in a window (I know not a ideal spot, but only place it would fit) and it gets natural sunlight, and it has been here over a year. I keep it cleaned of algea from the sunlight and keep a baggie of the Fluval Phosphorus remover in my RENA PX3. I havent had a problem with algea yet...Im assuming that the Phosphorus remover prolly isnt a good thing to have in a planted tank, am I wrong on that assumption? Would the natural sunlight be ok for the plants for them to grow in? :shrug: Thanks guys!

Lady Hobbs
12-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Sunlight will give you green water.

Plant Man
12-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I have a 55 Gallon cycled tank. Ive been adding freshwater plants that my LFS said are hardy, swords and I forget the other ones. My question is about lighting. I have a plain strip light on the tank. I know that it isnt enough light or what the plants need. BUT I do have the tank in a window (I know not a ideal spot, but only place it would fit) and it gets natural sunlight, and it has been here over a year. I keep it cleaned of algea from the sunlight and keep a baggie of the Fluval Phosphorus remover in my RENA PX3. I havent had a problem with algea yet...Im assuming that the Phosphorus remover prolly isnt a good thing to have in a planted tank, am I wrong on that assumption? Would the natural sunlight be ok for the plants for them to grow in? :shrug: Thanks guys!

Direct sunlight is very powerful! And your aquarium without the natural levels of Co2 and fast moving water (like streams have) may grow lots of green algae. However, it sounds like itís just getting indirect sunlight as you say youíve been able to keep it clean, I assume with just weekly once overs? Yes?

If this is right,

How much water are you changing per week?
How many plants do you have?
Any pictures?
How much flow do you have in the tank? (water movement)
What type of filters are you running?
What exact fish do you have and what are there sizes?
What is the light bulb, what is its wattage? What Kelvin rating is it 10,000K or 7,600K?
What are your tap waters parameters? KH, GH

Generally speaking, itís a good idea to not listen to ďanythingĒ anyone tells you at the LFS. There interests do not lay in the success of your tank. Successful tanks need very little spending at the LFS. Fish/plants in a healthy aquarium donít need replacing. ;)

CassieLEO
12-05-2010, 12:04 AM
I change a third of the water every week, sometimes twice a week if I am home and feel like it. I have about 8-10 plants in there, just plain swords and the ones you buy bulbs for at Petsmart. I do have a few ribbon plants in there, and im aware they arent aquatic but bbough tthem before I knew any better. I was never super interested in how plants work before now, so im not sure what kind of plants I have. I have, in my 55 gallon tank, a RENA PX3 so I get a lot of water movement with that, a AC 70, along with a Mean Green machine. My tank is a year old. All my water perameters are fine, with a ph of 7.5. I have no idea what my lighting is, but the man I bought it from said it was a full spectrum light. The reason I am running the PX3 is because I am moving up to a 130 gallon aquarium I have in the next 6 months when we move into the house I am buying and wanted it seeded.
I have 5 barbs, 2 emerald cories, 2 panda cories, 5 zebra danios, 2 flame gouramis, 3 Buenes Aries Tetras, 2 skunk loaches, 2 plain plecos, 1 peacock eel, 2 red tail sharks, 1 crayfish, 1 fiddler crab and several ghost shrimp. I am aware that I am overstocked, but as I said, I am moving up in aquarium size in the next 6 months and will have two tanks going to split them up.

CassieLEO
12-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Heres my Tank now... Thanks for your help!!