PDA

View Full Version : Found 1 Baby fish!!!!!

TehTANK
06-28-2007, 01:15 PM
So last night I was sitting at my computer looking at my fish tank because we just got some new fish in there that day (which takes me up to 14) and I see this little thing moving under some rocks. I thought it was poop at first. So I walk over to the tank and I see this baby fish! I am like OMG! we have have baby fish. Now about 3 or 4 weeks ago my wife and I thought one of my cichlids was pregnant but all of a sudden one day she was eating and I thought maybe it was a faulse alarm. Well I guess it wasn't. It is bitter sweet though. Last night at 10 o'clock I too all the rocks out of my tank to try and chase down this little guy so I can get him in a breeder holder so he didn't get eaten or sucked up in the filter. so I removed all the rocks and got him in there and looked for more. I couldn't find anymore but him. He is the soul survivor. I hope he makes it. I feel bad that all his brothers and sisters died. But I am happy that I was able to find this one and hopefully save him. This is my first baby fish ever so you guys have to help me out and tell me what is the best way to get him to grow up big and strong!!!

Lady Hobbs
06-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Some of the others may have gotten sucked into the filter as well as eaten. But now you know you have a breeding pair in the tank and you'll be getting lots more.

You are a daddy again!

sergo
06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
that's cool! i can't wait untill i get surprised like that too. i haven't been spending much time on the fish lately, my dog of 9 years came up missing on monday so i've been putting a lot of time in trying to find her. maybe since i've left the fish alone maybe they can do their thing and surprise me :)

TehTANK
06-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I guess I am a daddy again. Like I said...I felt bad because I wasn't a good daddy and realize that I was going to have babies. At least I saved one. I just hope he makes it now! It was pretty cool and I am glad I have a breeding pair. I tore apart my tank like crazy last night and reset it up a little different. When I get some pictues I will want to get everyone opinion on the set up to see which people liked best and why.

Any good advice on how to make sure this little guy makes it?

Lady Hobbs
06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Doing just as you did, which was separate them I guess. Most cichlids make good parents tho so it's hard to say why you don't have more. Other fish probably grabbed them.

Sergo, I am so sorry to hear you dog is missing. I hope you find her soon. I know this must be very worrisome for you.

TehTANK
06-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I am sorry you lost your dog too! Please keep us posted on what happens.

Well I have a breeder floating thing that goes in the tank. That is where the little guy is right now.

Rue
06-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Sergo...I'm so sorry about your dog...I'd be going balistic if one of mine disappeared for that long! :(

...and TehTank...congrats on your babies! Hopefully you'll be able to raise these to adulthood!

sergo
06-28-2007, 02:24 PM
tehtank do you what species your fry is?
thanks for the encouragement everyone.

TehTANK
06-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Peacock Cichlid. I am getting some pictures taken today and I will post them as soon as I can. I am going to try to get all my fishies and the baby and the new tank set up.

crackatinny
06-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Great news tehtank, it is a good feeling when you see little additions like that to a tank.

RobbieG
06-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Congrats TehTank

Sorry to hear about your dog Sergo

kimmers318
06-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I think you will soon find more babies, congrats!!! I know our demasoni and acei give us babies regularly....hubby stopped trying to save them after the first couple of batches because we had to find too many homes for them we had so many.